Wedding Cake Questions - Please Help

Decorating By ljhow623 Updated 9 Apr 2010 , 1:01pm by Shannon1129

ljhow623 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljhow623 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 4

I am doing my daughters wedding cake next week. # cakes will be covered in Satin Ice fondant and 3 cakes will be covered in Choco Pan fondant. I want to bake on Tuesday, tort, fill and frost on Wed, cover in fondant and decorate on Thursday. Then I have to pack the cakes and travel 2 1/2 hours on Friday. We are staying at a hotel. I got the reception hall to let me in at 10:30 Saturday morning to set up as lots to do that day.

Anyway does the time line seem okay to you? Will the cakes still be fresh and moist? I will be using the WASC recipes. Should I refridgerate them? If so will that affect the fondant at all?

YOur replies are greatly appreciated. Thanks, Lisa

3 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 4

Sounds fine to me. The time spent BEFORE covering in frosting/fondant is what you need to worry about......and you've got only one day between baking and covering in fondant so they'll be fine. The fondant will lock in the moisture, I wouldn't bother refrigerating unless you've got a perishable filling in there!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 8:28pm
post #3 of 4

I would recommend freezing the cakes after cooling from the oven. This will help them stay fresh and after you fill and crumbcoat them the next day just let them come to room temp under the crumbcoat (about 2 hours) while the cake is settling and then cover with fondant. Should be fresh and wonderful still come Sat.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 9 Apr 2010 , 1:01pm
post #4 of 4

I think KHalstead and I are on the same page. I think once you cover your cakes in fondant, you're a-ok. Fondant seals in the moisture.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%