Will Fondant Stick To Cake If Iced The Day Before?

Decorating By VS8894 Updated 30 Jun 2010 , 3:32am by neecies_sweets

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:49am
post #1 of 8

I was planning on filling and icing my cakes tonight and then applying the fondant tomorrow night.

I was wondering if it would stick okay?

Any advise greatly appreciated,

Vicki

7 replies
KS421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KS421 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 11:56am
post #2 of 8

That is how I decorate cakes and from what I have read, most people do this as well. It gives the cake time to settle and hopefully will eliminate any air bubbles in the fondant. I usually apply some piping gel to the cake to make the fondant stick but I have also used a light spritz of water too.

Good luck!

miss_sweetstory Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
miss_sweetstory Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 8

If you use a non crusting buttercream, it should stick without having to do anything else.

If using a crusting buttercream, lightly rub over it with a slightly damp paper towel. The piping gel works too... I just tend to use too much and it gets messy.

jonahsmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jonahsmom Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 1:07pm
post #4 of 8

I've spritzed with water, but you have to be careful not to do too much or it pools around the bottom. Creates a disgusting mess!

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 2:26pm
post #5 of 8

i always ice my cakes a good couple of hours before hand, if not the day before i apply the fondant, im very heavy handed so i prefer something sturdy to work with, like jonahsmom, i spritz my cake with a little water, or use a pastry brush damped with water if i have too, and like she said, you dont need much, just a tiny bit to make it dampish icon_smile.gif

VS8894 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VS8894 Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:45am
post #6 of 8

Thank you so much for all the helpful replies!

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:51am
post #7 of 8

I have a spray bottle (the ones you buy at Home Dept) with the adjustable nozzle... and I set it to the lightest spray setting... it's just a mist of water... the less the better...

hth

neecies_sweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neecies_sweets Posted 30 Jun 2010 , 3:32am
post #8 of 8

I've always filled and crumbcoated, then let settle before icing and covering with fondant-- and then I feel like I have to rush to get the fondant on while the bc is still sticky. but I like the idea of icing ahead of time and then covering the next day. Do you think refrigerating an iced cake overnight and then spritzing (or painting with gel) would cause any problems? covering a cold cake might make the fondant weep? sure would be nice to add some time to the bc in this climate!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%