Crumb Coat Before Freezing??

Decorating By andyneal331 Updated 7 Apr 2010 , 7:16am by chocolatestone

andyneal331 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andyneal331 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 7

I've never done a crumb coat before, but I feel like I need to on this baby shower cake I have coming up this Saturday. I also have an Anniversary cake to do this weekend.. so I'm going to start baking and freezing today. Two cakes will be chocolate (four layers total). Should I crumb coat them before I put them in the freezer?? Or when I bring them out and let them thaw over night?

If crumb coating isn't suggested, please let me know! I'm still a newbie! icon_redface.gif

6 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #2 of 7

It can be done either way. Some people crumb coat the cakes ( cooled completely of course) then freeze to firm up. Some freeze, defrost then crumb coat. Often times if it's done that way, you can still put the crumb coated cakes back in the fridge or freezer to set up for the final coating of buttercream and/or fondant.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 7

To answer your question as to whether to crumb coat. YES you should crumb coat. Especially when it's a chocolate cake. I crumb coat after I take my cakes from the freezer.

andyneal331 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:30am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamawrobin

To answer your question as to whether to crumb coat. YES you should crumb coat. Especially when it's a chocolate cake. I crumb coat after I take my cakes from the freezer.

I know this is probably a STUPID question.. but how do you crumbcoat? Or how do you make it?

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 4:38am
post #5 of 7

Crumb coating is just putting a thin layer of frosting on the cake to "seal" in the crumbs. Usually you let the cake sit for a while ( in the fridge or freezer), some do it for 20-30 min, some do it overnight. Then another thicker layer is added as the final one before decorating.

KimAZ

andyneal331 Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 6:55am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimAZ

Crumb coating is just putting a thin layer of frosting on the cake to "seal" in the crumbs. Usually you let the cake sit for a while ( in the fridge or freezer), some do it for 20-30 min, some do it overnight. Then another thicker layer is added as the final one before decorating.

KimAZ

So it's basically my buttercream icing just thinned down and coating it? I thought about baking the cakes tomorrow and leveling them after completely cooling, crumb coat, wrap and freeze... and then take them out Thursday night and let them thaw completely overnight.. final coat and decorate Friday for the party on Saturday at 1 pm. Is this the proper or correct way to do it?

chocolatestone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatestone Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 7:16am
post #7 of 7

If I'm making the cake a couple of days ahead I place each layer on a thin cakeboard and then wrap each layer with layers of plastic wrap. I take the cakes out of the freezer a couple of hours before I need to decorate and leave them to thaw at room temperature before unwraping and decorating. I only crumb coat the cakes once they have thawed. I wouldn't crumb coat before freezing. The crumb coat is not thinned down buttercream. It is a thin layer of buttercream which applied to seal off the crumbs to make sure there aren't any crumbs in the final coating of buttercream. Once the cake has it's crumb coat I will leave it the fridge for a while to "dry" before placing the final layer of buttercream. I usually crumbcoat with the same buttercream that I will be using to cover the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%