I'm So Confused!

Decorating By Faffy Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 11:14pm by Faffy

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:27am
post #1 of 7

I am doing my first fondant covered cake in 2 weeks and am so confused over the refridgerate or not to refrigerate thing. Some of you say not to put fondant covered cakes in the fridge and some say that is all they do????? I live in a very humid climate and have also heard that fondant accents (like a bow on top) will droop and colapse when the fondant comes back to room temp??? Please any advise wouold be appricated, I'm so stressed about this cake!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

6 replies
KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:36am
post #2 of 7

If you are in doubt then don't put it in the fridge. I don't refrigerate any of my cakes. I don't use perishable fillings though.

Also, if you want to try it out, then make a small cake with a bow and stick it in the fridge. See what happens.

Don't stress, experiment. icon_smile.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:42am
post #3 of 7

I wouldn't hesitate to put a fondant covered cake in the fridge, however I would not put the bow on it until after it came out of the fridge. 2D decorations are fine on a fondant cake--but I use Michele Foster's recipe--and commercial fondant refrigerates fine too; results sometimes get trickier with straight MMF (marshmallows, water and PS only). MacsMom said that she refrigerates all of her MMF cakes, but she adds glycerine (her recipe can be found here on CC) . I think I have only ever made TWO fondant-covered cakes which DIDN'T go in the fridge. The worst I could say about my MMF cakes is they stayed shiny for longer than I might have cared for...that's why I switched to the MFF recipe.

It is true that you will see varying opinions on the matter, but I must say, the majority of the of the posts I've read which say "You can't refrigerate fondant" haven't actually tried it yet. However, your mileage may vary if if you live in a humid climate, so if you are super stressed and worried about it, you can always just forget about refrigerating it and just make sure that your filling and icing are not perishable.

If you are making it yourself, and want to keep the cake cold, I'd just recommend using a recipe that has proven to be fridge-worthy (as I mentioned above.) And also if this is your first time working with fondant, it couldn't hurt to do a practice cake now ANYWAY! Why not pick up a box of cheap cake mix at the 99c store and make a little throwaway cake. Of course you could just ice your cake pan and use it as a dummy, but if you do it on a real cake you could get a sense of how your cake will turn out if you put it in the fridge.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:58am
post #4 of 7

I went on vacation to sunny Puerto Rico... we visited my mother and she wanted me to make a cake for my nephew... (ps... Mama doesn't have AC in her kitchen) so I made a batch of MMF and baked a cake....

On THE DAY!.... I rolled the fondant... so far so good... I covered the cake with fondant.. so far so good... I washed my hands... went to the terrace to ask my mom to come see it... that took all but 3 seconds... when I got back... the fondant was all sticky... super shiny... drooping... sagging.... I said well it might be that it needs some PS... so I started dusting it with PS and kept smoothing it.... I put it in the fridge... then went on to do the little details that were going on the cake.... I did them... then put them on a styrofoam egg carton and took them to one of the bedroom where she has AC.... while it was in the room with AC... and while cake covered with MMF on the fridge... it was okay....

As soon as I took the cake out... AGAIN within seconds... shinyyyyyy gooeyyyyy
All decorations sagging... drooping....

Lesson: MMF Does NOT work well on humid hot climates.... it was a nightmare.... I would never use that in that kind of weather ever....

My mom talked to a dear friend that bakes cakes in PR and they are gorgeous by the way... she said they use a special fondant recipe there... just because of the very same thing that happened to me... MMF does not hold in hot humid weather....

I don't know if this long story might help you but.... it's an FYI... I still think about it and laugh so hard because I was sweating trying to make this cake look good... I had been "bragging" to my mom from Philly about my adorable cakes.... and I was ashamed of that cake....

Maybe someone like from Texas (I was there in JULY... OH MYYY soooo hottt I thought I was going to pass out) or Florida (hahaha went to Disney right in the middle of August with a 1 year old baby and 4 kids.... ohhh myy...... sooo super hottttt & humidddd) lol they might be able to give u some pointers.....

BTW... I started adding glycerin to my MMF.... it is wonderful to work with... IN PHILLY that is lol loving it!

hth

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 7

I don't think your issues is going to be what happens while the cake is in the fridge but more what happens when it comes out. Think about taking a bottle of water out of the fridge. Right now, in Texas it seems like the condensation starts forming the instant something comes out of the fridge. This moisture is going to sit on the cake. Now some say that you can put a fan on it and help dry it, but for me, I just avoid putting things in the fridge.

As far as the bow, I wouldn't put that in the fridge if you are in a very humid enviroment myself. I'd wait until it came out of the fridge to add it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:07pm
post #6 of 7

I don't use perishable fillings so that I never have to refrigerate a cake in the first place. And yes, put the bow on at the last minute. If I'm delivering, I put the bow on at the venue.

Faffy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Faffy Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 11:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the info.....I will not be putting the cake in the fridge. icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%