Realistic Looking Crystals

Decorating By kattyann Updated 8 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm by catlharper

kattyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kattyann Posted 5 Apr 2010 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 7

I will be decorating my son's wedding cake in August. I am going to try to duplicate the lace on my future daughter-in-laws dress and apply to the cake. Her dress also has beading, which I think I can handle, but I would like to find a way of making crytals that shine like the real ones. I saw some low cost crystals at Michael's and they were on top of a silver paper that made the crystals sparkle. My idea is to maybe make some homemade crystals and put a small dot of diluted silverdust under the crystal that I want to attach? Has anyone tried anything like this? I don't have any recipe for the "crystals" and I don't know if there are molds that small to use in making them. Any ideas? I'm ready to experiment!

6 replies
Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 4:47pm
post #2 of 7

If you can find the small molds, why not try some type of clear candy. Put the hard candy in the mold, place in oven to melt and pop them out when they have cooled. Or you could just use molten sugar. I would think that you could put luster dust on them and that should make them sparkle.

kattyann Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try. I think I found some molds online somewhere last week, I also might give the isomalt a try. I've some time to experiment.

kattyann Posted 7 Apr 2010 , 10:24pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks for your reply. I will give it a try. I think I found some molds online somewhere last week, I also might give the isomalt a try. I've some time to experiment.

Tclanton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tclanton Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 1:23pm
post #5 of 7

You are welcome - let us know how it all worked out for you.

j_black Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j_black Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:03pm
post #6 of 7

Isomalt is a bit expensive I think, I always had good results with sugar, You can also buy food grade silicone to make your own mold. Might even be about to make an exact duplicate mold of the actual beading on the dress. Just an idea.....

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Apr 2010 , 9:32pm
post #7 of 7

You can purchase them as well. There are many places out there that have nice ones in many different colors but my fav is C A K E C R Y S T A L S . C O M

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%