Having Trouble With First Impressions Molds...need Help!

Decorating By buttercup1016 Updated 13 Mar 2011 , 1:01am by h_rob

buttercup1016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercup1016 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:39pm
post #1 of 5

I've used lots of these silicone molds before and have never had a problem. But I recently purchased military insignia molds and they are detailed, but very shallow. In other words, the details are not overly pronounced...they just don't show up. I am trying to use fondant, and have tried every method I can think of to press the fondant in firmly, but when I de-mold, either you can't see the details at all, or they details have smudged from too much movement of the fondant (from all the pressing).

Does anyone have any suggestions? If I can't get it to work, I'l have to try something poured - maybe RI or chocolate. But I really want to use fondant or gumpaste.

I spent a small fortune on these molds and I need help! (I've even called First Impressions to ask, but no one has called me back yet)

Thanks for any suggestions!!!

4 replies
MYOM-Dominic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MYOM-Dominic Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 9:44pm
post #2 of 5

Hi buttercup 1016

If the mold maker did not create the mold so that you have a good depth of detail, there is not much you can do. In order to get the best impression out of your mold with fondant try this:

First dust your mold with cornstarch - not powdered sugar. Turn the mold up side down and smack the back of the mold so that almost all the cornstarch comes out leaving a very fine powder coat.

Apply only enough fondant to fill half of the mold cavity and press very hard with your thumb forcing the fondant into every detail. Then fill the cavity and press again.

Now place the mold in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes.

Carefully remove the fondant from the mold by bending the mold back around the edges to release the outer edge. Keep flexing the mold until you see your fondant piece dancing and ready to fall out. Turn over while flexing and allow the piece to fall out on your work surface.

If you are still dissatisfied with the details there is not much more you can do. Of course in the future you can make your own military insignia mold in about an hour with Silicone Plastique pressed over an actual badge or medal. Average cost for a mold made over a badge with Silicone Plastique ---- about a buck!

Hope This Helps,

Dominic icon_smile.gif

Moondance Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Moondance Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

Hi, I use modelling paste in my FI mold and i works really well. The instructions say you shouldn't use cornflour/starch in the mold, but on the paste itself. Also, press really hard to get it into the folds, then put it n the freezer for 20 minutes or so, tap it out and leave to sry - mine work a treat

good luck

dolcebaci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolcebaci Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 10:28pm
post #4 of 5

Pop them into the freezer...shouldn`t have a problem then....First Imressions in my eyes make the greatest molds....Worth every penny I think

Dolce

Toronto Canada

h_rob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h_rob Posted 13 Mar 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 5

dolcebaci where did you buy your first impression mold? I'm looking to buy their elephant and can't find it anywhere here in Canada and don't feel like spending $40+ to order it from the US...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%