Sheet Cake Cracking On Transport

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 1:09am by leah_s

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:21am
post #1 of 6

Hi all -
I iced my sheet cakes with my buttercream but once it crusts and I move it cracks. Totally uncool. What can I do?

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:25am
post #2 of 6

thicker base under cake will help -- cake is flexing due to weight and size and not enough support.

I use 3 sheets for foam core glued together

plywood would also work, again at least 1/2 thick -- this will be much heavier than foam core tho'

LisaR64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaR64 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:29am
post #3 of 6

Usually that happens if the cake board under the cake isn't strong enough. When the cake board is too thin, it allows the cake to move slightly and that causes the icing to crack. I recently began using 1/2" foam core under my sheet cakes and haven't had any problems since.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:32am
post #4 of 6

According to Marina Sousa, you can add a little vinegar to your buttercream to help prevent cracking. She says you can't taste it but I've never tried it.

Heavier board on the bottom is really the easier answer tho. thumbs_up.gif I use MDF that I cut to size, covered with a food-safe paper or cake foil

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:36am
post #5 of 6

p.s. ---

the 3 sheets of foam core the cheapo $1@ ones I get at DollarTree -- then spray adhesive and a big ol' stack of heavy books to hold them them down until the adhesive sets -- about 1/2 hour.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:09am
post #6 of 6

ditto. Cracking is not a bc issue, its a support issue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%