How To Make Multi-Colored Fondant Soccer Ball?

Decorating By nielsen4897 Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm by lilyankee5688

nielsen4897 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nielsen4897 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:18am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a soccer ball with the white and black hexagons. Ideally I would like to make it our of one 'sheet' and then drape by round cake in it. How to people take multi fondant peices and get them together to make one without distorting the look of the shapes?

5 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:44am
post #2 of 6

wow I don't know that anyone does that, but if they do they are really good...I would put the black pieces in on white myself , sorry I can't help more

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:20am
post #3 of 6

the only way i know how to "combine" the 2 colors would be to roll it out together, but that distorts the shape. I think your best bet is to cut the hexagons out and piece them together on the ball, so they are all flat together but not connected, then you could add a "stitch" look on the edges.. At least that is what I'd do.. Sorry I am no help. Hope you figure it out and when you do post pics!

eccl1-12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eccl1-12 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:05am
post #4 of 6

Is the cake going to be a complete sphere? The only reason I know this is because I watch too much tv, but if it is to be that, I have seen Ace of Cakes make a couple spherical cakes and they cut a large styrofoam ball in half and used half for the cake base as cake itself prefers to give in to gravity. The top half is then carved cake. Im sorry if you already knew this.

As far as the fondant part is concerned, I think I have to agree with the other two and say that it would be best to cut the shapes and piece them on, especially if the cake is to be a sphere. Otherwise, by the time it gets wrapped around and smoothed down and the wrinkles are out, the shapes will be off. HTH!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:08am
post #5 of 6

no short cut that i know of. you have to do it the hard way, cut each piece and asseble them on the cake. sorry.

lilyankee5688 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilyankee5688 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:06pm
post #6 of 6

eccl1-12, there is a cake pan to make balls, using all cake, not Styrofoam at the bottom. no carving, nothing.. its the Wilton Sports ball.. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%