Need Advice...wedding Tomorrow

Decorating By fabfour Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 1:32am by mamawrobin

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:13pm
post #1 of 7

I have a 4 tiered square wedding cake tomorrow. All 4 sides are stenciled in black. I've been planning on using royal icing, but that is one more thing to pack and we are going 75 miles. I have used buttercream before and been fine. What is the pros to using royal icing with the stencils? Oh, I should say that the cakes will all be iced in buttercream. Any advice??? Thanks.

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:36pm
post #2 of 7

Can you do them in buttercream before you leave? Transport the cake in sections and assemble it onsite. Are you planning on decorating it when you get there? I don't get it.

Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 7

I would do as costumeczar suggests, assemble it there. You are stenciling royal on top of a crusting buttercream, right? Have you stenciled before?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:54pm
post #4 of 7

I've heard Buddy on Cakeboss say that he uses royal icing for stenciling because it sets up faster and there is less room for error than when using buttercream. Have you done stenciling before? If not I certainly would practice before I started on the cake. Good luck thumbs_up.gif

BTW your cakes are great.

fabfour Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabfour Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:14am
post #5 of 7

I assemble and decorate there. I only have a base coat on the cakes now. Yes, I have used the stencil before but I used buttercream on buttercream. I didn't know for sure what the point was for using royal icing, I didn't know if there was something I was missing.

Thanks everyone!

rockytop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rockytop Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:24am
post #6 of 7

I would go with what you know, unless they specified royal icing .

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:32am
post #7 of 7

I totally agree, I'd stick with what I know. I'm sure your cake will turn out beautiful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%