First Topsy Turvy Cake Advice.

Decorating By katies_cakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 12:08am by katies_cakes

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:35pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, im making my first TT this weekend and using the method where you cut out a level hole in the top of each tier for the tier above to sit in im also carving the sides a little. i was wondering if anyone had any tips to share? is there anything i may not have thought of? i want it togo well. can i fill it with jam&BC? or will that be too slippy? also whats the best way togo about carving the sides so they are smaller at the bottom? TIA

2 replies
JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:10pm
post #2 of 3

I've only made one once, so I'm no expert. I used the method you plan to, though, and it was really easy. I filled mine with buttercream and it held up fine. Make sure to partially freeze your cakes before trying to carve them. Also, put the tier on the size cake board that you want it to taper to at the bottom. For example, if you want an 8" tier to taper down to 6", then put the cake on that size board and cut away! Also, only cut away a little at a time. It's easier to take more off as needed than to try to spackle some back on! HTH

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 12:08am
post #3 of 3

Thank you! that was really helpful, oh i really hope i can manage this, i love TT cakes so much. thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%