Choc. Dipped Lemon Cake Balls

Decorating By arbakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm by The_Mad_Hatter

arbakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arbakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:55pm
post #1 of 13

I am making some cake balls for this Sunday and I have some yummy fresh picked lemons so I wanted to use them for the cake flavor. I've never made them before, but from what I can see, everyone dips the balls in chocolate, but lemon and chocolate don't seem like they would go well together icon_confused.gif Has anyone paired these two flavors together? What would you for the outer coating with lemon cake?

12 replies
2SchnauzerLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:02pm
post #2 of 13

Lemon with white chocolate works very well! I used cream cheese mixed with lemon curd as a binder for the lemon cake and then dipped in white chocolate.

arbakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:28pm
post #3 of 13

mmmm...that actually does sound good! I was thinking maybe poured vanilla fondant, but I haven't done that either so I think white chocolate would be better! can you color white chocolate with gel colors?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:39pm
post #4 of 13

I haven't tried coloring the white chocolate. You could try it on a small amount.

MrsAB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsAB Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:44pm
post #5 of 13

TNTFundraiser, that recipe sure sounds delish! How much cream cheese and lemon curd do you mix together?

2SchnauzerLady Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 7:50pm
post #6 of 13

I used about 4 oz cream cheese and enough lemon curd to make a soft buttercream consistency - hope that makes sense. I remember the amount of cream cheese as I used the rest of the cream cheese mixed with mini choc chips as a binder for chocolate cake.

mama2_3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mama2_3 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:08pm
post #7 of 13

You can't color with gel colors or any liquid. I think I have read that maybe you could color with a powdered color. You just don't want to use anything waterbased. I have actually tried lemon cakeballs with chocolate and they tasted awesome! Pioneer Woman website has an awesome yogurt marmalade cake that uses lemon. It makes a very dense, moist cake that I didn't even have to add any frosting to in order to shape. HTH.

arbakes Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 8:17pm
post #8 of 13

TNTfundraiser: thank you for the info!
mama2: that cake sounds delicious...i will have to try it.

you guys are the best! icon_smile.gif

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 11:47pm
post #9 of 13

I love lemon cake balls. I use cream cheese as a binder and dip in white chocolate. Yummy.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:06am
post #10 of 13

You can color candy melts, which is what a lot of people use to dip cake balls in. You need something called Flo Coat and then you can use your gel colors by Anmericolor or Wilton paste.

I have done it several times. You still have to be careful as your chocolate can seize up but it can be done. I have used white candy melts and made pink, green and lilac.

I also think that you can buy yellow colored candy melts, especially at this time of year - Easter.

jillmakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillmakescakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:23am
post #11 of 13

Wilton sells the yellow candy melts, which works really well. Its vanilla flavored chocolate.

kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:39am
post #12 of 13

I made dark chocolate and lemon truffles for a ladies wine and food night and they were delicious!

The_Mad_Hatter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Mad_Hatter Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 13

white chocolate would be good!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%