Frustrating Gold Paint

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #1 of 10

I'm trying to do a three tiered version of a Pink Cake Box sweet 16 cake, done in white, hot pink, and gold.

The cake has given me no end of problems today anyway, haha...pudding filling didn't set up right, too soft....icing too soft.....weather warm and humid today after being used to dry cool weather all winter of course... topsy turvy that is topsy enough even to scare me haha...

So okay I looked at Pink Cake Box's photo and the gold is super bright, like highlighter dust. So I'm using it (edible or not, she used it, evidently, so I am....) But its SO SMOOTH!!! And it looks like she airbrushed the stripes and the border balls seperately somehow, and then put them on the cake.

How?

Highlighter dust is a thicker grain..the stuff would never go through my airbrush, and would never be as thick and shiny as hers.

So I'm hand painting mine...what a disaster! Every little puddle of gold is obvious against the white and pink colors. Every time I try to get it thicker and more shiny, you can see the texture of the brush or of the extra thick layer I put on. But try to smooth it out with the brush and it shows through the light yellow that I used as a base (well that was a stupid decision using that color, anyway.)

So...this cake is looking pretty sloppy...I mean I think a photo will cover some of it but it does NOT look neat and professional like Pink Cake Box's, plus I made the layers a bit too "turvy" too.

*sigh*

Its one of those weeks.

Anyway...suggestions?

Here is hers: http://www.pinkcakebox.com/images/cake1263.jpg

I'm doing a variation on the top three tiers.

And praying my mushy pudding and mushy icing doesn't really mess me up...I put two dowels all the way through it, hoping that helps.

9 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:14am
post #2 of 10

Luster dust works better than highlighter dust. I've also heard of people using the gold airbrush liquid.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:14am
post #3 of 10

I read in the ices newsletter that Bronwen puts her dust in a sprayer bottle and mixes it with vodka, then sprays her surface.

Maybe that's a solution if it won't go through your airbrush?

If not....then I'm stumped, sorry. icon_redface.gif

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:21am
post #4 of 10

Spray bottle is interesting...hmmm...

Well I finished the cake...and I will say that this time actually the structure is scaring me more than the gold paint at this point. Everything ended up too soft...the filling, the icing....and its topsy turvy...so the cake has some stability issues. I'm not excited about it. Just praying the customer drives really carefully tomorrow.

I do see some "settling" and I usually don't see that in my cakes...NOT GOOD. I was an idiot to allow the customer to pick pudding filling...I forgot about the tiers sitting at an angle and the pudding being slippery.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 5:05am
post #5 of 10

I saved the site...have you tried the gold?

fun2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fun2bake Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 6:18am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

I saved the site...have you tried the gold?

Yes, we bought one of each of their colors. We painted the gold on dark chocolate and on marshmallows. The marshmallows looked great with the gold against the white background. On the chocolate, it took us awhile to get used to the coverage and the gold look on the dark chocolate. The gold paint is somewhat translucent with a sparkle so some of the dark chocolate showed through the paint. We didn't have any white chocolate, but my guess is it would look good against the white. It was easy to apply. The colored paints (red, blue, yellow, white, black, evergreen and orange) all solidly colored the dark chocolate like paint would cover. We liked the fact that there was also silver and bronze. I wish I knew about this product during the Olympics... Let me know what you think if you try it.....

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:03pm
post #7 of 10

Here is mine btw.. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1631310&done=1

It looks not a whole lot like the Pink Cake Box one....I hope the customer doesn't care, and I hope the pudding filling holds up through the party and does not slide any more than it has.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 10

Kitagrl your cake came out great. The gold is real shiny. I always use the Americolor airbrush colors - they work great and there is no mixing.

marisworthit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marisworthit Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:21pm
post #9 of 10

No pudding in topsies ever.

Kitagrl Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 10:38pm
post #10 of 10

Haha yeah I really learned the pudding lesson. BIG TIME. Hub just delivered and customer happy so as long as the cake holds up all evening I will consider myself warned and lucky!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%