Adding Cocoa Powder To Already Made Mmf?

Decorating By sweet_2th_fairy Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm by CoutureCakeCreations

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:00pm
post #1 of 6

I made some MMF and will need to make it black. I understand that it is easier to achieve a black color if you start from brown. I know I should've added the cocoa powder to the MMF while I was mixing, but didn't think that far ahead. icon_redface.gif So I was wondering if I can add cocoa powder now even though the MMF has already been made?

Any other suggestions on how to achieve black MMF?

5 replies
melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

Can you paint it with gel color or airbrush it?

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:14pm
post #3 of 6

I needed black fondant last week and here's what I did. I had some MMF already made so I added modeling chocolate to the fondant. I used 50/50 ratio It was pretty dark so I didn't have to use a ton of black. I did dye my MMF green which I think may have helped me get a good black color w/o having to use so much black. To answer your question, I think it would dry your MMF out too much to add the cocoa powder.

sweet_2th_fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_2th_fairy Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 6

Unfortunately, I don't have an airbrush. I never thought of painting it with gel color. Do I need to dilute it with alcohol or extract or do I use it full strength?

Hmmm, I never thought of using green as the base color instead of brown. I'm actually using a 50/50 ratio of gumpaste and fondant and my gumpaste is white, too. icon_sad.gif I will keep in mind that I could use modeling chocolate in the future. Thanks! I appreciate your input about adding the cocoa powder and possibly drying it out. Good point!

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:32pm
post #5 of 6

I've used both diluted and straight color on fondant. You will probably see brush strokes though unless you do several coats. Hmmm... on second thought, maybe not such a good idea for an entire cake. Sorry.

CoutureCakeCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCakeCreations Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:40pm
post #6 of 6

I would suggest no cocoa powder. It will dry out your fondant. If you have an airbrush you can airbrush it black. If you paint it you will have to do several layers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%