Heart Healthy/is There Such A Thing

Baking By casme Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm by TexasSugar

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 9

To all you great bakers out there, is there such a thing as a heart healthy dessert for a diabetic? I miss seeing my mom enjoy dessert when the rest of us do, mostly when we are all together on the holidays. I appreciate any ideas if there is such a thing, I would like to surprise her. Thank you from the bottom of my heart to anyone with a suggestion and/or recipe.

8 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:47pm
post #2 of 9

What about an angel food cake, with fresh strawberries and whipped cream?

jennywenny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennywenny Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:19pm
post #3 of 9

I feel like the healthiest cake I do is the delia smith reduced fat carrot cake. Its not that low fat, and it is real sugar, but I do think that the bulk of the cake is carrots, so it wont give her such a blood sugar spike as a regular cake.

An alternative is a sugar free carrot cake that I've seen on 101 cookbooks, try googling it!

I hate splenda, so I dont like to bake with it, but I guess that is an alternative.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:32pm
post #4 of 9

you might try some weight watchers recipes? Not sure how they fit in with a diabetic diet, but my daughter makes a scratch cake from a WW recipe that is delicious and super no-cal.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:50pm
post #6 of 9

Angel food cake is good, I torte that about 4 to 5 times and fill with fresh strawberry cream and put a fresh strawberry glaze on top made with strawberries and splenda.

You can also make a parfait, take angel food cake cubes and layer them with sugar free pudding folded with sugar free cool whip for a faux mousse (you can make a cheesecake mousse like this and it is to die for) then layer with fresh fruit of any kind to compliment.

I will have to dig, but I have a lemon cake recipe somewhere that is really good and I torte that sucker a bunch of times and fill it with a pineapple cream and people go crazy over that. Let me see if I can find that recipe...

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:01am
post #7 of 9

Actually I had filed it away with the other recipes so not too terrible to find.

Lemon Velvet Cake:

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 cup Splenda Sugar Blend for Baking or Equal works just as well
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 cup half and half with 1 tbsp of vinegar whisked in (it will curdle slightly)
1/2 tsp lemon extract
1/2 tsp of vanilla
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice (I dont even measure, its the juice from 1 lemon)
1 teaspoon lemon zest (I eyeball it, you can add more or less to taste)

Combine flour, sugar substitute, baking powder, and salt in a large mixing bowl. Cut butter into flour mixture with a fork or a pastry blender until crumbly. (This may be done with a mixer at the lowest speed).

Stir together eggs, milk, lemon extract, vanilla extract, and lemon rind in a small mixing bowl; add 1/3 of the egg mixture to flour mixture. Beat at low speed of an electric mixer until blended. Beat at medium speed for 30 seconds or until batter is smooth, stopping to scrape down sides of the bowl.

Repeat procedure 2 times. Spoon batter into prepared pans.

Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on a wire rack 10 minutes; remove layers from pans and cool on a wire rack.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:30am
post #8 of 9

WOW! Thank you for the quick responses everyone, I am going to try one of the ideas for Easter. I hope my mom is pleasantly surprised. Happy baking and merry Easter to everyone. Thanks again !!!!!!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 6:03pm
post #9 of 9

It isn't just the sugar issue with diabetic cooking, it is also the carbs.

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fitness/

The above would probably be the best place to look for a recipe.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%