Help Please - Quilting

Decorating By t4beatles Updated 31 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm by t4beatles

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 5

I can't find any stores locally that have the diamond impression mat.

I'm doing a cake for Friday and need to have the quilted look so I am wondering how to measure and draw the lines.

Any help on how to do this? I am sitting here trying to draw it but it keeps turning out as just a triangle looking pattern (one single cross over in the middle)

How do you draw the lines ?

4 replies
dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 5

you can use a ruler... mark the starting point maybe 1 in apart... it's really simple...

http://www.drillspot.com/pimages/2569/256918_300.jpg

hth

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 5

I do this method:
using card stock or a similar heavy weight paper, draw and cut out a right triangle. The height of the triangle should be equal to or just taller than the height of your cake. The angle of the slanted side (opposite the right angle) can be adjusted by lengthening or shortening the bottom side of the triangle. This will be your template.

It is best to practice tracing on a sheet of paper first so that you can get the proper angle on the triangle template. Trace a line along the slanted side, then move over an inch (or however wide you want your quilting squares to be) and trace another line. Then flip the template and trace 2 lines again (this should create a diamond shape.) You can then judge how to adjust your template.

It is best to measure around your cake and use thisnumber to determine how to equally space your lines. For example, if your cake measure 12" around, you could make 12 diamonds 1" wide or 6 diamonds 2" wide. If you measure in centimeters, and your cake is 100 centimeters around, you can make 10 diamonds at 10 centimeters wide, 20 diamonds at 5 centimeters wide, etc. To use the template, place flat against the side of the cake and trace along the slanted side. Move the template over (1 inch if making 1" diamonds, 1 centimeter if making 1 cent. diamonds, etc.) and trace again. Continue until you reach your first line. Then flip the template (so that the slanted side slants in the opposite direction, and repeat the previous step. This should give you nice even diamonds in whatever size you choose! I hope that makes sense...I'm really not good at giving directions! (or taking them...according to my boyfriend!)

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:01pm
post #4 of 5

I prefer this method so that you don't have to worry about lining up the impression mat, or having any lines that don't overlap just right, etc.

t4beatles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
t4beatles Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you dalis4joe & misdawn!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%