Forgot To Add Tylose Will Figure Dry?

Decorating By tenleysmommy Updated 12 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm by tenleysmommy

tenleysmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tenleysmommy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 15

So, stupid me just made a barbie sized Ariel out of fondant and forgot to add the tylose powder.Will it dry by Friday?Or will it crack when I put it on the cake?Thanks!

14 replies
ChoueiriCakeCo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 15

Does the type of fondant you use naturally dry over time? If so then it should dry. It may take a bit longer but hopefully it'll dry enough to hold its shape. Leave it exposed to air (but away from direct light) to help it dry.`

tenleysmommy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 15

Thank you,I use satin ice and have never made a figure before so I wasn't sure.

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 15

I've used satin ice with no tylose and it dried wonderfully. I just left the pieces out to dry for a few days. They were flat figures but your figure should dry the same. Good luck!

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:25am
post #5 of 15

You can make figures using straight fondant. I do that when I know my Grandson's will be eating them. I think the biggest problem with using straight fondant is the weight of the fondant sometimes makes the figure smoosh down a lose some of its shape before it dries. I don't have too much of a problem with that if I'm making a small dog, penguin, etc. A figure the size of a barbie doll might be a problem though. How long ago did you make it? Is is holding it's shape so far?

Edited to add: I also use Satin Ice.

tenleysmommy Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:35am
post #6 of 15

the back is now flat,but thats ok I can cover it with her hair : ).The tail and the face seem to be okay.Since it is so heavy I am not sure that my "glue" will hold it together,do you think it would be okay to hot glue it?It is for my bestfriends daughter and I will not let her eat it.Thank you for all your help

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 1:44am
post #7 of 15

Personally I would not try to hot glue a fondant figure. Edible glue is very strong once it dries. It's really hard for me to give you good advice without seeing your figure. You have at least 2 more days for it to dry. It's probably going to be ok. good luck to you and be sure to post a picture. icon_smile.gif

tenleysmommy Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #8 of 15

Thanks,I will glue it when it dries and try to find a way to prop it up.Good news is I have until Sunday now so I think I will be ok icon_biggrin.gif here is a pic of what I have so far
LL
LL

ChoueiriCakeCo Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 9:56am
post #9 of 15

That looks really good so far! It looks like it's holding it's shape very well too.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 10:57am
post #10 of 15

Great job so far. One question though from your pics, how are you going to attach the arms and body and fin, you can't attach dry pieces to dry pieces. You can attach wet to wet and wet to dry but not dry to dry, gum glue won't work.

tenleysmommy Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm
post #11 of 15

I have made holes in the body and little nubs on the arms so that the arms will stick into the body.Guess I thought that would work?Guess I will learn by trail and error icon_biggrin.gif Anyway to get it to stick together?

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 6:04pm
post #12 of 15

If they are not dry yet you may be able to use gum glue NOW. If they are dry, gum glue won't work, try some melted candy melts in the color of the pieces so you won't see it. Paint it on the pieces with a brush. That is all I can think of, maybe someone has another idea. Just remember for next time, they need to all be attached and then left to dry. Hair can go on the head even if the head is dry because the hair will not be, remember you can attach dry to wet (use gum glue). Good luck

tenleysmommy Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 8:49pm
post #13 of 15

Just wanted to give ya'll an update.Well I dumped the whole thing,it would'nt dry and kept breaking apart.But I did another one with 50/50 fondant and gumpaste and here was my finale result.I still had trouble with drying so the neck sunk,maybe its the humidity?
LL

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 10:43pm
post #14 of 15

she looks beautiful, you did a really good job! thumbs_up.gif If yous still having problems using 50/50 gumpaste mix, try using tylo. it might help, its worth a try. i swear by it!

tenleysmommy Posted 12 Apr 2010 , 11:58pm
post #15 of 15

Thanks,I have tylose but I thought maybe this would dry faster.I think I am done with figures,clearly it is not my thing : )

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%