Has Anyone Tried This Recipe?

Decorating By smokeysmokerton Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 12:08pm by GrandmaG

smokeysmokerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smokeysmokerton Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #1 of 9

It's the recipe for whip cream frosting that I found here. I'm just curious about it because it has flour in it and I've never heard of that in a frosting. There aren't any comments or ratings so I was just wondering if anyone had tried it?

8 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #2 of 9

I made a buttercream iciing from a receipe found on this site that called for cake flour. I didn't care for it AT ALL.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:48am
post #3 of 9

Is that a cooked frosting or an American b/c recipe?

If a cooked frosting there are reviews for similar recipes on other sites:

http://www.recipezaar.com/recipe/Poor-Mans-Cooked-Frosting-3730

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Poor-Mans-Frosting/Detail.aspx

If an American b/c frosting, I'm not familiar with it. However, I've made American b/c recipes with flour or cornstarch added to increase stability and take away some of the greasy Crisco mouth feel.

HTH

smokeysmokerton Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:23pm
post #4 of 9

I found it here http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7437/whip-cream

My mom hates buttercream so I was trying to find something like the whipped icing they use on grocery store cakes. The flour in this recipe just threw me.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:37pm
post #5 of 9

That is a cooked frosting. I make a white chocolate cooked frosting that is really delicious with flour! Just make sure you are always stirring so it doesn't get lumpy. You can pipe some with it but it is harder to do.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 2:17pm
post #6 of 9

The receipe that I made using cake flour was not a cooked icing. It is called "faux fondant buttercream" I think icon_confused.gif Found it on cc but didn't care for it at all. I used it to ice some dummies icon_lol.gif It crusted very well though.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:28pm
post #7 of 9

i make this icing at times. it is very good. i made it for my sil b/d last week end. everyone loved it. there are some different recipes of it. some call it mocked whipped icing. toba garret calls hers french buttercream. etc. it is really good on different types of cakes. red velvet cake is one. my sil was a straberry cake with whipped cream strawberry filling and then i made this icing for the outside. none was left. lol

smokeysmokerton Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 9:56pm
post #8 of 9

So is it like the sweet sort of stiff whipped icing like they have at walmart (I hate to use grocery store cakes as a reference, but it's the only place I've seen it)?

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 12:08pm
post #9 of 9

No, it's more like a stiff whipped cream consistency.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%