Mud Cake,fudge Cake ,??? Oh My! Please Help!

Baking By honeyscakes Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm by honeyscakes

honeyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
honeyscakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #1 of 9

Hi there,
I am trying to find a trusted and tried recipe for a GOOD chocolate cake.
here is the scenario, 3 tier wedding cake for a couple that is CHOCOHOLIC!!! BIG TIME. The cake will be filled with Chocolate Ganache, iced with ..you guessed it ...Chocolate Ganache (Sharon Z's recipe).
Now, I am trying to find out what is the difference between Mud cake and Fudge cake? which one is more chocolatey and appropriate for stacking?
Do you have a recipe that you would like to share?
I know the WASC has a durable version...but that uses the instant pudding mix,the couple doesnt consume Gelatin, and I think the pudding mix has gelatin in it...so I am hesitant in trying the WASC recipe.since many cake mixes have pudding in them. sigh!
WHAT TO DO!!!
Also, I wanted to ask if the Ganache will set and be firm or will it stay moist and wet when I ice the cake?
AND when I make the ganache for the filling, do I use 1 to 1 ratio? as in half of the quantity of Heavy cream?
Please help icon_smile.gif
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

8 replies
tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:14pm
post #2 of 9

I use Tom Wholley's fudge brownie cake. No pudding and MAJORLY chocolaty...sooooooo good icon_smile.gif carves well and tastes BETTER if frozen..yeah, that's right!!

will copy/paste in a sec...

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:17pm
post #3 of 9

the only thing I change is using dutch-processed cocoa (NOT called for in the recipe, but I use it anyway and it turns out great)...and follow the recipe to a T!!!!!!!!! I was casual the first time and anal the second...turned out much more moist when you follow the steaming and oven directions. It is amazingly delish and I've received sooo many compliments on it. GL and enjoy!!

Fudge Brownie Cake, yeild: 2, 9" rounds

sift together:
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
reserve.

Cream:
3/4 c. butter
with
2 c. sugar

Then add: until creamy
3 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. veg. oil
2 tsp. vanilla

Then mix in you dry ingredients from above.

To this you add:
1 1/2 c, boiling water or hot coffee. (I use the water)
Nuts are optional (I don't use)

Dirrections: Now heres the wierd part, baking. The author reccomends 275-300F oven and NOT hotter. They are allowed to cool in the pans for ONLY/exactly 5 minutes and then you turn them out and wrap them in plastic wrap, sealing them. This step can't be omited, it does steam the cake and that does make the cake better then if you air cooled it (I've done both, wrapped is better). I've also baked it at 350 and that does work but a cooler oven is better. Be forwarned this cake does not rise high in the pan, it will be pretty close to the level of batter when finished. I've mulitpled this recipe as high as x6 which fills a 20qt mixing bowl, with no problems. This cake can be baked in any size pan with-out changes.

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:01am
post #4 of 9

I use this one all the time, it always works perfectly, it is moist and I always get compliments about the taste. I also use dutch cocoa in this recipe it definitely gives a great flavour.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2107/dark-chocolate-mudcake

Jo-melia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jo-melia Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:21am
post #5 of 9

I don't know if this is the norm, but the mudcake recipes I have seen have melted chocolate in them, the fudge cakes do not - I think that's the only major difference.
So I guess that means mudcake is more chocolatey?
I use the same ganache inside and outside, 2:1, it sets firm, but not hard IYKWIM...

I hope someone with a little more know how can help more!!

honeyscakes Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:17am
post #6 of 9

OH GREAT!!! THANKS I will try this recipe tomorrow.and then a few others the next couple of days to see which one tastes and looks the best!
I REALLY appreciate the super sonic fast copy paste icon_smile.gifTHANKS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tavyheather

the only thing I change is using dutch-processed cocoa (NOT called for in the recipe, but I use it anyway and it turns out great)...and follow the recipe to a T!!!!!!!!! I was casual the first time and anal the second...turned out much more moist when you follow the steaming and oven directions. It is amazingly delish and I've received sooo many compliments on it. GL and enjoy!!

Fudge Brownie Cake, yeild: 2, 9" rounds

sift together:
3 c. flour
1 1/2 c. cocoa
1 1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. salt
reserve.

Cream:
3/4 c. butter
with
2 c. sugar

Then add: until creamy
3 eggs
1 c. buttermilk
2/3 c. veg. oil
2 tsp. vanilla

Then mix in you dry ingredients from above.

To this you add:
1 1/2 c, boiling water or hot coffee. (I use the water)
Nuts are optional (I don't use)

Dirrections: Now heres the wierd part, baking. The author reccomends 275-300F oven and NOT hotter. They are allowed to cool in the pans for ONLY/exactly 5 minutes and then you turn them out and wrap them in plastic wrap, sealing them. This step can't be omited, it does steam the cake and that does make the cake better then if you air cooled it (I've done both, wrapped is better). I've also baked it at 350 and that does work but a cooler oven is better. Be forwarned this cake does not rise high in the pan, it will be pretty close to the level of batter when finished. I've mulitpled this recipe as high as x6 which fills a 20qt mixing bowl, with no problems. This cake can be baked in any size pan with-out changes.

honeyscakes Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 1:18am
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparklepop

I use this one all the time, it always works perfectly, it is moist and I always get compliments about the taste. I also use dutch cocoa in this recipe it definitely gives a great flavour.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/2107/dark-chocolate-mudcake

AWESOME!! I will try this recipe on Thursday icon_smile.gif will let you know how I like it.
I have another question.How do you measure in grams? I will google to find a converter..but just wondering icon_confused.gif
- h

Sparklepop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sparklepop Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:10am
post #8 of 9

I use my scales I forgot you have imperial measurements icon_redface.gif , my scales have both

honeyscakes Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 4:26pm
post #9 of 9

[quote="honeyscakes"]OH GREAT!!! THANKS I will try this recipe tomorrow.and then a few others the next couple of days to see which one tastes and looks the best!
I REALLY appreciate the super sonic fast copy paste icon_smile.gifTHANKS!!!
[quote="tavyheather"]the only thing I change is using dutch-processed cocoa (NOT called for in the recipe, but I use it anyway and it turns out great)...and follow the recipe to a T!!!!!!!!! I was casual the first time and anal the second...turned out much more moist when you follow the steaming and oven directions. It is amazingly delish and I've received sooo many compliments on it. GL and enjoy!!"
OK I am back ,sorry about the delay in posting my reply here.
I tried baking the cake on Thursday at night.I baked a 10"round ( with half recipe)
I baked it at 300'F and it took close to 45-48 mins.
The cake didn't rise as much but it did dome a little bit.I covered it with seran wrap about 5 mins after it came out of the oven.
I checked the cake after 30 mins and to my surprise the dome was gone!!! and all I had was a perfectly leveled cake surface!!!! I took the seran wrap off and had a piece YUMMMMYYYYYYYY deeply chocolate cake.its almost like eating a VERY good quality brownie.My 8 yr old son LOVES McCallister's Deli's chocolate cake and he said that this cake is exactly like that one I agree!!!
then I wrapped the cake real good and left it in the freezer.
The next morning I took it out and let it defrost for a few mins.
Then I cut bite size cubes of the cake to store in the fridge and to give to my friend the cutting was so easy because it was still a little bit frozen and I was able to cut straight lines without messy crumbs.
Anyone who ate this cake LOVED it!!!! I like the fudgy texture...melts in your mouth.
I give this recipe 5 stars!!!
Friday,I made Dede Wilson's chocolate cake from her book, Wedding cakes you can make". LOVE IT!!!
I am so glad you shared your recipe with us.THANK YOU!!!!
This cake is a perfect treat for any chocolate lover.All you need with it is a few strawberries, a comfy chair and a patio to sit on ! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh summer breeze
THANKS AGAIN!!! I appreciate your time and help.
- honeyscakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%