I Have Googled And Searched Cc For This Mmf Question.

Decorating By tesso Updated 29 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm by catlharper

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 5

Okay. My search revealed NOTHING except conflicting answers.

I want to make MMF as early as possible for cake due on april 11th.

I have americolor royal blue gel

I plan on coloring the fondant at the melted marshmallow stage.

How far in advance can i make colored fondant and how should i store the colored fondant.

I ask this because there are conflicting posts (everywhere in my google search) that making colored fondant early makes it go bad, changes the taste, makes it crumbly, sticky... etc.. the list is endless.

thanks

4 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:19pm
post #2 of 5

I color my fondant when I make it. I don't leave it out on the counter longer than a week, if I need to keep it longer then I will wrap the ziplock bag in foil and freeze it.

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:23pm
post #3 of 5

thank you, thank you, thank you, I have never made may fondant in advance before, unless it is just plain white. I know that BC and wilton colors go bad quickly. and wasnt sure about the coloring and fondant time. thanks again.

melmar02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melmar02 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:36pm
post #4 of 5

I have made colored MMF for cakes and frozen the left overs. I roll it into a ball, cover in saran wrap and then put in a ziploc with all the air squeezed out. I've never had enough leftovers to cover another cake, but I've used them to make some rather big accents. I take the bag out of the freezer 24-48 hours before I need to use it and if it's a little crumbly I just kneed in a little crisco or glycerine. I have tasted a little bit every time I do this before I start rolling it out to make sure it doesn't have a freezer burn taste, and to me it tastes the same as the day I made it.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:39pm
post #5 of 5

Recently I made blue MMF and kept it double wrapped in the fridge for a week. Nothing happened to the color or texture. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%