Massa Grischuna Fondant?

Decorating By lecrn Updated 30 Mar 2010 , 12:17am by chefjulie

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:22pm
post #1 of 22

Has anyone tried this band of fondant?
Is it worth the extra money as compared to Satin Ice or Fondyx?
Does it accept color well?
Is it easy to work with?
How does it taste?
Where's the best place to order it from? Does anyone sell samples of it?

Thanks so much!!

21 replies
KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:15pm
post #2 of 22

I think this is the same Massa brand fondant Nicholas Lodge uses. I went to a demo of his where he showed it and it was wonderful. Tasted really good and was very easy to work with( according to him). It is more pricey though for sure.

I know you can order it through Albert Uster Imports.

Hope that helps.
KimAZ

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #3 of 22

Yes.

Buy it directly from Albert Uster: http://www.auiswiss.com

Tastes nice, works great. The white takes color a little better, but the neutral does pretty well too. I LOVE this stuff. Can't get samples other than at a show.

It's more expensive per pound but the cost per volume used it lower because you can roll it thinner. It has less gums in it so it doesn't dry out as quickly ad it will stay soft on a cake so cutting it is a little easier too. Roll it as thin as 1/8" or even 1/16". As long as you have your cake iced, you won't see through it.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:36pm
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Has anyone tried this band of fondant?
Is it worth the extra money as compared to or Fondyx?
Does it accept color well?
Is it easy to work with?
How does it taste?
Where's the best place to order it from? Does anyone sell samples of it?

Thanks so much!!

I used it once in one of Nick's classes and I found it to be too soft -- kept tearing. The color did well, I didn't taste it but others liked the taste of it. I like Satin Ice better so I stick with that.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:04pm
post #5 of 22

I used it for my own wedding cake, loved it! Taste good, easy to work with.I add a bit of pink and yellow to it and had good results, but I heard it doesn't work good with purple.Some people dust it with baking soda and then add purple to get good result.
I bought mine from Albert Uster Imports.
I use Satin Ice as well and like it's sweet candy like flavor, haven't tried fondx yet.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:11pm
post #6 of 22

It's the only fondant I will use. I love it!! (I'm actually featured as an "interesting person" on their web site, so I might be a little partial, but it really is good and the service is outstanding.)

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #7 of 22

I prefer using messa. It works great and tastes great too. It can get rolled thin which I like. I use Satin Ice for red and black only, everything else is Albert Uster brand.
It's all that Nicholas Lodge and Collete Peters use. They swear by it.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #8 of 22

I've never tried it, but have friends who've used it and really like it.

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 9:52pm
post #9 of 22

Thanks for your replies!
I'm just thinking ahead for a future cake order. I've worked with MMF, MFF, SI, & Fondx. I like the taste of MFF (michelle's) better, but I need something consistent & I'd rather buy for sake of convenience. I like the taste of Fondx over SI, but the last Fondx that I bought was sticky.
I mainly make BC cakes, so my fondant skills are still pretty green. I need something that tastes great & is easy to use.
I really wish I could get something smaller than a 13# pail of Massa to try. I think that some of the cake will be bright pink. I wonder if it would take pink well?

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:00pm
post #10 of 22

About how many pounds of the Massa would I need for 14, 11, 8, 5 (4in tall) round tiers since you can roll it thinner than the other fondants?

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:21pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

Thanks for your replies!
I'm just thinking ahead for a future cake order. I've worked with MMF, MFF, SI, & Fondx. I like the taste of MFF (michelle's) better, but I need something consistent & I'd rather buy for sake of convenience. I like the taste of Fondx over SI, but the last Fondx that I bought was sticky.
I mainly make BC cakes, so my fondant skills are still pretty green. I need something that tastes great & is easy to use.
I really wish I could get something smaller than a 13# pail of Massa to try. I think that some of the cake will be bright pink. I wonder if it would take pink well?

Massa it the best tasting of anything that I have tried. YEs, it will take pink without any problems.

mkolmar Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:24pm
post #12 of 22

Hard to say. All depends on how thin/tick you roll your fondant.
I can't roll SI as thin as I can Massa so I know I always need to order more when I'm working with it.
I know the Massa seems pricey but if you spend $150 with Albert Uster the shipping is free.
When I broke down cost it is a little cheaper for me to order it from Albert Uster than to order SI from other sources. When ordering anything I add the tax and shipping into the cost for that item. SI cost me a little more than $1 a pound than the Massa does. That's because I have to pay shipping, but when I order from Albert Uster I place a large enough order I don't have to pay for shipping since it's free.

I'm a dork and figure all this out since I crunch numbers when it comes for buying products for my job.

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:33pm
post #13 of 22

I love the stuff. The only negative thing I've ever heard about it is that the neutral doesn't take black coloring well. Colette Peters was the one who found this out and told them about it, which is why they developed the Americana. At least that is what she told us in her class at the world pastry forum last year.

I use it for everything....it tastes fan-freaking-tastic and works well. I haven't found it too soft at all. It mends really well, if you get a wrinkle or tear, so it is definitely my preferred. The white chocolate version is sooooo gooooooood.

lecrn Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:56pm
post #14 of 22

That's good to know about the shipping. I always factor in the shipping as well. I just need to compare prices.

mkolmar Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #15 of 22

Your right Karateka - I forgot they told us that. Good memory girl!
Like I said earlier, I use only SI for Red and Black. I hate making those colors and refuse too. If they sold the Massa in those colors though, I would buy it from them first.

gretch77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gretch77 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #16 of 22

The Americana was designed by Nick. It takes the color a lot better than the Neutral. It taste wonderful as well. If you don't want to order a large quantity from Albert Uster International Sugar Art sells it as well. It is Nick's store.

lecrn Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 1:14pm
post #17 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch77

The Americana was designed by Nick. It takes the color a lot better than the Neutral. It taste wonderful as well. If you don't want to order a large quantity from Albert Uster International Sugar Art sells it as well. It is Nick's store.

It doesn't look like he sells it smaller than a 13# tub either unless I'm being completely stupid.

gretch77 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 2:17pm
post #18 of 22

It only comes in the 13lb tub. He does sell the amethyst fondant in a smaller size.

lecrn Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 5:15pm
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretch77

It only comes in the 13lb tub. He does sell the amethyst fondant in a smaller size.

I wasn't able to find where he's selling the smaller size amethyst on his site.

gretch77 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:35pm
post #20 of 22

You would have to call the store for that.

11cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
11cupcakes Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 11:53pm
post #21 of 22

It work great with pink.

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 12:17am
post #22 of 22

I agree that Massa is AWESOME!! I'm pretty sure that Albert Uster raised their minimum order for free shipping to $195. Still a good deal if you can justify buying in bulk!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%