Help...cake Won't Crust

Decorating By tranqlty Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 1:29am by tranqlty

tranqlty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tranqlty Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 12:53am
post #1 of 8

buttercream won't crust so I can smooth with papertowel...is there anything I can do to make it crust so I can finish the cake? TIA

7 replies
lisamenz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisamenz Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:05am
post #2 of 8

Most likely you have to much liquid or shortening, not enough 10x sugar in the receipt. The more sugar in the mix , the more crusting. The more crisco or liquid in the buttercream, the softer and it takes longer to crust. Sometimes if you let it set for a little longer and keep using fresh viva towels , it will set up. I hope this helps, Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:13am
post #3 of 8

What buttercream are you making? Not all buttercreams crust. If you've made IMBC, SMBC, FBC, or GBC, none of those crust. If you've made ABC and it's not crusting, then the fat to sugar ratio is off and it needs more powdered sugar.

tranqlty Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:16am
post #4 of 8

it's been sitting for over 2 hours...the recipe I used is 2 sticks butter, 1 cup crisco, 3 tsp flavor, 2 lbs PS and 4-6 tsp of milk

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:21am
post #5 of 8

Needs more powdered sugar.

tranqlty Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:22am
post #6 of 8

well it's already on the cake...I really don't have time to scrap it all off icon_sad.gif

Angel_Cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Angel_Cake Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:24am
post #7 of 8

I usually use a similar recipe and it crusts just fine. I would agree though, probably just add more sugar or cut back on the milk next time!

tranqlty Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #8 of 8

thanks everyone for coming to my rescue...I bit the bullet and scrapped it off the cake...thanks goodness for crumb coating...I appreciate all the help!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%