Help! What Do You Guys Do?

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 27 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm by Shannon1129

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:42pm
post #1 of 7

I have a bit of a dilema. I'm sort of new to wedding cakes, and I have a question. Do you guys offer perishable fillings in wedding cakes that are covered in fondant?
I ask this because I've heard and now believe that fondant-covered cakes should not go in the fridge. Originally I thought it was okay to put a fondant cake in the fridge until one day I did some royal piping on top of the fondant. When I removed it from the fridge the sweating caused the royal icing to become transparent instead of white.
Also, the wedding cakes sit out for long periods of time. I have people wanting all these fancy perishable fillings but I'm afraid to use them in a fondant covered cake. Instead I offer flavoured buttercream as filling because it's not perishable. How do you all deal with this? Thanks!

6 replies
karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:48pm
post #2 of 7

I don't offer perishable fillings as yet, due to Ohio law. But fondant cakes can be refrigerated, and should be if they contain perishable fillings. Royal icing, however, is not good for the fridge. Any water from condensation is not kind to RI.

The_Sugar_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
The_Sugar_Fairy Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:23am
post #3 of 7

Ohhh, maybe the royal icing was the problem then. Should I be using buttercream icing on top of the fondant when decorating? My Wilton instructor told me that you shouldn't use bc on top of fondant, but I can't remember why. Anyone else?

monet1895 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monet1895 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #4 of 7

Yes, fondant cakes can be refrigerated. RI decos should be applied after the cake comes out of the fridge. I don't do a lot w/ buttercream decos, but I do use it for borders around the bottom of my fondant and so far I have not had a problem.

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #5 of 7

I've done lots of BC on fondant and it is just fine.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:27am
post #6 of 7

I have also used bc on fondant w/o any problem. I know that some refrigerate fondant covered cakes but I never have.

Shannon1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shannon1129 Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 7

I keep my fondant cakes in the fridge quite a bit to keep them nice and firm. Especially before transport. I have never used RI on a fondant cake, so I am thinking that might be the culprit. I would just follow what everyone esle has said and use BC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%