Cupcake Pricing....

Business By CiNoRi Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm by sugarspice

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 18

Hi guys,

I'm trying to get feel for what is a good price range... What do you charge for yours? cost of a basic frosted cupcake, then for a frosted cupcake with decorations?

Thanks a bunch!

17 replies
Ronbob1984 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ronbob1984 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 18

I charge $3.00 per cupcake for my area. That is a standard cupcake with just a swirl on the top. I also use my gourmet flavors for these.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 18

I only charge $1.35, but its just white or chocolate, swirl only. They go way up for designs and custom flavors.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #4 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by jentreu

I only charge $1.35, but its just white or chocolate, swirl only. They go way up for designs and custom flavors.

What is average for your designed ones?

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 18

My standard cupcakes are $1, while my Boulangerie Original Flavor line runs $1.50/each. I just started my business, so I am trying to keep my prices low to attract customers. Bakeries here in Murfreesboro/Nashville charge about $3 for a standard cupcake... I don't think I could ever charge that much for a regular old cupcake, just my two cents.

sambugjoebear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sambugjoebear Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #6 of 18

I charge $1.50 in my rural area. $0.50 extra for filled and/or small decoration.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 18

The designed ones range from $1.75-$3 or more depending on what they want. I usually consider cupcakes more of a simple item- so I don't get a lot of requests for over the top things. (although there are some amazing ones on here that I would love to try!)

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 18

I'd price them close to your regular serving price, it is alter all a serving of cake, espeicially if you do fillings. Now if the design gets more detailed, such as you need 200 flowers to go on top of 200 cupcakes, then you will have to charge for that.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 2:02am
post #9 of 18

I only do multiples of a dozen.

Standard sized cupcakes
Plain swirl with sprinkles: $18/dozen
Gourmet or decorated: $30/dozen

Mini cupcakes
Plain swirl with sprinkles: $6/dozen
Gourmet or decorated: $10/dozen

Jumbo cupcakes
Plain swirl with sprinkles: $36/dozen
Gourmet or decorated: $50/dozen

Stitches Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stitches Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #10 of 18

I don't have my own place but I can tell you what others charge. Our local cupcake shops sells them for $2.50 a piece. The local gourmet grocery store sells a 4 pack of jumbo sized ones for $4.99.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #11 of 18

My basic cupcake with just a swirl is $2.50 each. Decoration and or filling and the price goes up from there.

Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 1:59am
post #12 of 18

WOW!!! I need to move and go into the cupcake business!! Around here a plain flavor with a swirl of buttercream and sprinkles or a piped rosebud gets a whole $ .65!!!!

I have talked with a lot of people who want a discount on large cupcake orders even though they are time consuming. I did some at work for a wedding and the bride was charged $ 1.50 each because of handmade flowers on the top of each cupcake and that would usually stop the average person from ordering but she just looked at me and said "That's a great price, the wedding hall was charging $3" I wish I knew that I would have raised the price.

icon_smile.gif

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #13 of 18

I charge less than a $1.00 for plain vanilla with buttercream swirl. They are so easy to do. That being said, I usually make fondant toppers for them and that is where I make more of my $$$$$

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:11pm
post #14 of 18

I charge $2.50 for a standard buttercream swirl...anything extra like fondant flowers etc go up from there.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #15 of 18

standard sized, filled, swirl on top, sprinkles n/c $2.75 each

shearpamela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shearpamela Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:19pm
post #16 of 18

Since a cupcake is a single serving size does it make sense to charge what you would normally charge per slice for a cake?
I am just starting out and need to build a portfolio and get practice so I have been advised to charge and average of 2.00 for buttercream per slice or 2.75 for fondant unless it is more elaborate.

I have just been asked what I charge for:
Small
Medium
Large
Cupcakes

And I have no idea how to reply.... icon_confused.gif

Ellistwins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ellistwins Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 3:29pm
post #17 of 18

If you care to convert from SAR my prices are from:
Plain swirl with sprinkels - R6 - R8 per piece
3D with figurines - R12 per piece.
If the client would like a mix between plain, 2D and 3D it is R10 piece.
some shops in South africa have separate prices for each design/figurine and you can pay op to R30/cupcake, which is quite steep if you have a party for 30 kids.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 4:31pm
post #18 of 18

Well-would a medium be the same as a slice of cake? those prices could be the same.
Maybe figure how many small would eqaul a slice of cake to figure a price each. I would suggest padding this figure a bit, as there would be more handling with the small cupcakes to get an equivilant amount of volume of cake vs a reg. size cupcake.
Do the same for the large.
this would be a guide to get you started. You could then adjust the pricing to reflect increased cost for packaging (what will you pack the large cc's in?) or if you really don't want to deal with a certain size, you could bump that price to compensate for the hassel.
HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%