Using Fondant On Cupcakes

Baking By bltaylo3 Updated 1 Apr 2010 , 12:22am by Jayde

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #1 of 13

ok, so I am more versed in cakes..not so much in cupcakes so I thought I would ask you experts.....

I have some cupcakes I would like to make that are covered in fondant, with no buttercream beneath. They look gorgeous, but seem like they would not be very yummy. Any opinions?

Thanks so much for your help! You ladies/gents are so valuable!

12 replies
Marniela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marniela Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #2 of 13

I'd like to know the answer to this as well...

donnella2045 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnella2045 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:31pm
post #3 of 13

I always use a think layer of buttercream under the fondant cap. Also, an added filling in the cupcake does the trick.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:54pm
post #4 of 13

Why can't u use bc? It is very possible to have a layer of bc no one would see. Personally fondant only doesn't strike my fancy.
xx

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 13

I love to use my injector to fill the center of cupcakes. No one would ever see it if you covered it with fondant. And its YUMMY!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 13

what about doing a faux fondant on the cuppies??

Here is one I did, I just used my regular buttercream and heated it until melted and dipped the cupcake into it. It does stiffen enough once it's dry again to touch with your finger and not make an imprint (so it's firmer than regular buttercream) but not chewy like fondant and tastes wonderful!!
LL

bltaylo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bltaylo3 Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:00pm
post #7 of 13

love that idea...thanks so very much!

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 7:14pm
post #8 of 13

Another suggestion - use modeling chocolate - just make sure you cut the circle to size since it really won't stretch much. That really tastes good and you can decorate with colored modelling choclate as well.

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 13

Does fondant on cupcakes taste good? I know it looks fantastic but so many people have issues against fondant on regular cakes so how well does it go over on cupcakes? Do most people peel it off or eat it?

(by the way i love the idea above about melted buttercream!)

vanki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanki Posted 31 Mar 2010 , 11:58pm
post #10 of 13

Does fondant on cupcakes taste good? I know it looks fantastic but so many people have issues against fondant on regular cakes so how well does it go over on cupcakes? Do most people peel it off or eat it?

(by the way i love the idea above about melted buttercream!)

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:06am
post #11 of 13

You know what I do? I take the cupcake and shave off the tops so they are flat and I fill it with whatever filling that compliments. Then I take a circle cutter and cut out my fondant circles ahead of time and let them dry a bit.

That way I can decorate at my leisure the tops and then when I am ready to assemble I smear a small bit of BC on top and gently press the decorated circle down on top.

I made some zebra stripe ones like this with white circles, black zebra-ie stripes, and then tied a small fondant pink bow around the top where the cuppie meets the paper. The ladies went crazy over those.

robyndmy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robyndmy Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:07am
post #12 of 13

Melted buttercream sounds like it would be great!!

But I have melted homemade marshmallow fondant and dipped the cupcakes in it. I think it still tasted good, and wasn't too chewy. If it was something like a Wilton fondant, I could imagine that it may not be quite as desirable.

Jayde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jayde Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 12:22am
post #13 of 13

You could make a poured fondant, like they do for petit fours. Just dip the top in that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%