Transport A Sugar Cookie

Baking By Maydo Updated 2 Apr 2010 , 2:24am by Maydo

Maydo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maydo Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #1 of 12

Long story made very short:

Instead of goOdie bags, I'd like to give out sugar cookies for my daughter's birthday. They are rather large, about 4 x 6. I thought I could have them decorate them , but I wouldn't have time for the icing to dry and wrap them.

The problem is the girls will be leaving the party, riding the bus to kindergarten, then going home from there.

How can I wrap the cookies so they will not break in the backpack, yet look nice?

On another note: my daughter HATES fondat (even MMF) and had chosen a kit-kat - M&M cake. I love those cakes but I am SO sad I can't make her a more involved one. Oh well! The cookies and party will be enough work !

11 replies
pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 9:56am
post #2 of 12

I would put them in a small box, tied with bakery twine and let them carry them. In the backpack, no matter how you wrap, they will smear and break. JMHO

Maydo Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 3:40pm
post #3 of 12

I was thinking that they would probably break anyway. Maybe I won't give them out. It is funny that this is driving me crazy.

I have a butterfly cutter, from Wilton, that has smaller cutouts that go on top. I had high hopes.

I just like my family to create things to give back to our guests and I also like making things that can be eaten, to reduce clutter.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 26 Mar 2010 , 4:05pm
post #4 of 12

Could you have the cookies already baked and frosted, then the kids could draw on them with edible markers? Then, you could just put them into a bag with a piece of cardboard in it for stability. That way, you wouldn't have to worry about the icing smearing nor the cookie breaking. Just a thought!

EvMarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EvMarie Posted 27 Mar 2010 , 3:52am
post #5 of 12

I thought about this for shipping...more intricately decorated sugar cookies. I don't know if it would work but here's a thought...

You could make boxes. I am trying to perfect an oragami box. It's just some folding really. You can make any size you like. If you google it, you'll find some tutorials and paper crafting sites for help. You could put the cookie in a box made from cardstock. You could slide the box in a cello bag & secure top.

The only idea I came up with for the cookies turning upside down, is actually putting a few spots of RI as glue on the bottom of the cookie and then placing in box. Maybe it would keep it in place?

This is my unfinished experiment. May not stand up to a back pack...but just a thought!

nesweetcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nesweetcake Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 10:44pm
post #6 of 12

I love JGMB's Idea. They will love drawing on the cookies with edible markers. Think if you put a piece of 1/8 foam core board under them (cut to the size of the cookie bag) that will be your best bet of them getting them home in one piece. If not....They will have had fun drawing on them and they will still taste great!

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #7 of 12

......and if all else fails, my kids have never let a broken cookie get in the way of eating it! icon_biggrin.gif

Maydo Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 12

Thanks for all the great ideas-

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 8:01pm
post #9 of 12

Here are some Christmas card cookies I did, I bought boxes from the Dollar Tree (3 in a pack) that are called "DVD gift boxes" they're the absolute perfect size for them. I just wrapped the cookie in plastic wrap and slid them into the box, it had a flap that came over and opened up like a greeting card. You could even put a paper invite inside the flap and then have the cookie invite tucked inside!!
LL
LL
LL

luv2bake6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2bake6 Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 10:59pm
post #10 of 12

Those are amaizng Tina! And great box idea!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 1 Apr 2010 , 11:07pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maydo

On another note: my daughter HATES fondat (even MMF) and had chosen a kit-kat - M&M cake. I love those cakes but I am SO sad I can't make her a more involved one. Oh well! The cookies and party will be enough work !

Have you tried RBC on sugar cookies? My family loves it, and they don't like fondant (even MMF) on cookies. You can still do the details in RI, but don't have to wait as long for them to dry.

I haven't tried to cover a cake in it yet. It seems to tear much more easily than fondant, but if you leave it on the mat, it would probably work...? icon_confused.gif

Maydo Posted 2 Apr 2010 , 2:24am
post #12 of 12

Wow, thanks. I am not sure we have a Dollar Tree here, but I know we have a dollar store. I am hoping they are just not a Christmas thing.

Thank you for the idea for the RBC and the edible markers!

The teacher mis-spoke at the conference and told me there were 8 girls in the class. Well, there are 11 and, with siblings, the party is going to be way bigger than I thought. I am moving it to the park next to school, which will eliminate one bus ride!

I just love birthday parties. I would love to be a kids party planner. Wonder if it has ever been done....
Tip of the day:
Our supermarket here fills balloons for a quarter. I have used the same mylar balloons for 4 years now. Then, I bought a helium quality ballon pack of 100 at Wal-mart for the "regular" balloons. I have used that pack forever!

I saw the sign in the floral department- see if yours does the same thing!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%