Covering Cake With Fondant Advice Needed!!!

Decorating By mrsg1111 Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm by rosiecast

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 7:59pm
post #1 of 6

HI,
I'm fairly new to covering cakes with fondant. I've done 2 big cakes and far from perfecting it but i'm getting there.... I hope i can get as much advice as i can from everyone here... the 2 problems that i am having are:

1- I've been making cakes using store bought as it's so much cheaper that way... however, i don't know if it's too moist or what the problem is.. but whenever i put the fondant on the cake i'll cut the edge to fit to the bottom, but the weight of the fondant ends up looking like it buckling or weigng down the sides. could it be that the filling perhaps isn't firm enough? I have no idea. And sometimes the fondant starts to crack around the edges.

2- When covering a square cake with fondant how do I do the corners? i always end up with too much fondant and can't get it to smooth around the corners.
PLEASE HELP.. I have another big cake that i have to make for a 40th Bday and would love to have this perfected by then.

THANK YOU SO MUCH IN ADVANCE!!!!!

5 replies
mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #2 of 6

On the store bought cakes it is probably a combination of a too soft cake and the icing. You need a denser cake to hold up under fondant. I would suggest a boxed mix and add a small instant pudding. Try making your own this way and you will see how much better it holds up under the weight of the fondant.

As far as a square cake, can't help you there. I've never covered a square cake with fondant myself. Good luck and post pictures.

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:25pm
post #3 of 6

Oh Thank you so much! I've never heard of adding instant pudding! I actually just posted a pic of it.

I have to try that !

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:45pm
post #4 of 6

You're welcome and you did a good job on your cake. I took a peek icon_wink.gif

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 6

I would suggest you use a cake dummy to practice covering with fondant, as you can just cover, strip and recover.
Check this out for a visual tutorial on covering round and square cakes.

http://www.wonderhowto.com/search/how-to-cover-a-round-cake-with-fondant/

You do need a firmer cake to withstand the weight of fondant. No help with box advise as I only cook scratch. icon_biggrin.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 9:11pm
post #6 of 6

Hi Frankieb- I love your cakes. Is great to see other people from westchester.. There are videos on youtube and you can always get the sharon zambito dvd- I've heard people rave about it.

Good luck!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%