Can I Make Gold Frosting??

Decorating By mascrupp Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm by slimkim

mascrupp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mascrupp Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:03pm
post #1 of 6

I was just wondering if there is a way to make gold frosting?? I am doing a buttercream wedding cake but they want gold scroll work on it.....what would be the best way to do this?? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif
Melinda

5 replies
lanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lanana Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:36pm
post #2 of 6

I also have a request of a butter cream cake and they want it all gold!! can I air brush gold paint on a butter cream cake? Does any one has tried this?
thanks

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascrupp

I was just wondering if there is a way to make gold frosting?? I am doing a buttercream wedding cake but they want gold scroll work on it.....what would be the best way to do this?? Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif
Melinda

If you're looking for a true gold color I suggest using gold luster dust mixed with vodka (which evaporates) and paint it on.

leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lanana

I also have a request of a butter cream cake and they want it all gold!! can I air brush gold paint on a butter cream cake? Does any one has tried this?
thanks

I have not done gold, but I have done silver. I suggest buying the airbrush color already mixed, if you try to mix luster dust it may clump up and cause issues in your airbrush.

Bettycrockermommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bettycrockermommy Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:18pm
post #5 of 6

mascrupp, Americolor has gold that I use to color my icing. I would use that to color the icing for your scrolls and then paint with luster dust to get a bright gold color.

slimkim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slimkim Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 6

Yah I would use the americolor gold then airbrush with either gold airbrush or pearl to give it a metalic color. good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%