Recommended Airbrush Machine For Cakes

Decorating By Nicolle711 Updated 24 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm by CakeMakar

Nicolle711 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Nicolle711 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:35pm
post #1 of 11

Hello all! I know I have seen many threads here in the past about airbrushing machines, techniques and recommendation. However, when I do a search for them, I get no results icon_sad.gif

I am ready to purchase an airbrushing machine but I just do not know which one to get. For those that use an airbrush, which machine do you use, recommend? I am looking for something affordable but obviously good quality.

If you have link to threads about this, I will take those as well icon_biggrin.gif

Thank you in advance icon_biggrin.gif

10 replies
tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 11

Here's what I came up with when I did a search http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-608279-air.html+brush

Nicolle711 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #3 of 11

Thank you Tiggy! This is exactly what I was looking for...I have lots of researching to do know. Greatly appreciated thumbs_up.gif

malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:48pm
post #4 of 11

My Dad bought mine for me and he went to the local hobby/toy store. Mine is for painting models and doing crafts and such. It was a little under $300 and works like a dream!! It came with lots of different fittings and stuff so I could make it paint almost anything (not that I really know how) LOL
I also got the actual airbrush colors too. I don't do the mixing with vodka or anything. They were kind of expensive ($45?) but they will last me for years so it was worth it.

Sassy74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassy74 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #5 of 11

I got mine from TCP Global's store on EBAY. I paid around $165 for the compressor, gun, and a case of 12 4.5 oz airbrush colors. Great deal!

I have to say, the first compressor I bought developed problems pretty quickly. Took forever to pump up, etc. But, when I called them, they were GREAT about resolving the problem asap. They didn't even ask me to send the old compressor back, but immediately sent out a new one.

When I got the new compressor, it was a higher model than the one I'd ordered. Again, I called them to find out why they sent me a better, more expensive compressor. They told me that the one I had originally ordered was out of stock, so they sent me an upgrade. That was months ago, and the new unit has been working like a charm. I would happily buy from them again, and I know a lot of others on CC have units they've purchased from TCP Global.

PTBUGZY1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PTBUGZY1 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #6 of 11

I just purchased my airbrush from TCP on ebay, but have yet to use it.
This is alittle off the subject but, I'm not sure about the food colouring ratios to vodka/water? or what you mix the colour with. TIA

Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:30pm
post #7 of 11

I got mine from TCP global for about $160.00. It was a xmas gift. That included gun, line, compressor, and 12 large bottles of color and shipping. AD-Kit 20 I believe. The first compressor I got didn't work at all. I called, they immediately sent a replacement which did work and I didn't even have to send the old one back. I will buy again from them. I have had it a year and 3 months and it works great. I don't dilute my colors with vodka or anything. But I mix my metallic very well, spray at a higher psi and definitely make sure I clean the gun extremely well as the metallic gets pretty darn sticky when dry.

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:34pm
post #8 of 11

I don't know that I can find the real name of mine, but I call it "Heaven"!!!! I got one from an esthetician. It's one that they use to do nail art with. About $200 for the compressor and one kickbutt gun!

ladij153 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladij153 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:56pm
post #9 of 11

I got mine from airbrushcity.com I got one of their combos and got three different airbrushes, a compressor with moisture filter and a couple of airlines for around $140. I got them a couple of years ago so prices may have gone up a titch since then. I got a dual action brush, a trigger type brush and a single action brush in the combo. They have many combos to choose from.

Nicolle711 Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:17pm
post #10 of 11

Thank you all! I have my researching to do....now I know what to ask my DH for my birthday icon_lol.gif

CakeMakar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMakar Posted 24 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #11 of 11

I bought mine on airbrushcity.com as well. Great price and they have sales frequently. It's also the model Bronwen Weber recommends in her classes - the GD100. It's currently on sale for half price and free shipping. I got a compressor at Harbor Freight.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%