How To Get A Good Bourbon Colored Fondant??

Decorating By dianab Updated 25 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm by dianab

dianab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dianab Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a bourbon bottle (Makers Mark) cake for my brother-in-law's 40th birthday. I was going to cover a bottle with fondant and let it dry. I'm afraid it is going to be hard to get the right color. Any suggestion on how to get the right brownish color to my fondant?

7 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 8

That one you may have to play a little bit, do you have a color wheel? I think I would start with yellow and add brown to that, maybe a tad bit of orange or red?

Not sure how far you are from the distillery, but when we toured there, they gave us a couple of the real labels to take home. (when we went into the printing area) Are you going to "dip" the top of the bottle too? I can't wait to see this cake!

dianab Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:27pm
post #3 of 8

Haven't thought about how to make the red wax "dipped" look yet. I was thinking of fondant, but that really won't get the right effect. Maybe white chocolate colored red? I will have to experiment.

I was hoping to design a label to look just like a Maker's mark label (except something like "aged 40 years"). I wanted to make it an edible image.

Thanks Loucinda for the suggestion... I think your right about starting with yellow.. and there does seem to be an orange/red hue to the brown.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 8

Be sure to let me know when you get it done, I can't wait to see it!!

dianab Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:19pm
post #5 of 8

I'll try to remember to post a picture when I am done with the cake.

Anyone else have suggestions?

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 8

I've made a bottle of Allen's Coffee Brandy and I used chocolate fondant then hand painted it with brown food coloring paste so it was a nice dark brown shade. That was before I had an airbrush though so I'd probably try that next time. I can't say that I've ever seen a bourbon bottle so I'm not sure what you're looking for... but would either of those options work for you? I'd definitely start with a base color close to what you need, but the airbrush and/or handpainting will make it shiny-er (LOL) so it looks more like glass.

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 3:39pm
post #7 of 8

PS: Also, maybe some gold luster dust would help get the affect you need?

dianab Posted 25 Mar 2010 , 5:22pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks MainCake! All the tips I can get will help! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%