Duncan Hines Or Pillsbury

Decorating By shannycakers Updated 3 Apr 2010 , 8:51pm by dguerrant

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:23pm
post #1 of 40

Hello All icon_smile.gif

I was wondering is there a difference when using Duncan Hines mix as a base starter vs Pillsberry? I see alot of poeple use Duncan Hines but I see Pillsberry is often on sale the most?

Should I just stick to Duncan Hines? Please help icon_smile.gif

39 replies
idocakes4fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
idocakes4fun Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 40

There was discussion on this just a few days ago. Check out that string as well. I use Pillsbury and get great results. The cake is always super moist and level. Others were saying the same.

jhay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jhay Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:47pm
post #3 of 40

I have used both and both work for me just fine.

3LittleBeesCookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3LittleBeesCookies Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 40

I don't like either. I guess I am just weird. icon_biggrin.gif If I have to use a mix, I always go the BC route.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 40

I use either one.....I like DH just a tad better, I get more batter from the DH mix over the Pillsbury one.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 40

I use both but like Loucinda I prefer DH. I agree that it seems to yeild a little more batter.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:42pm
post #7 of 40

I liked DH because like Loucinda said it makes more batter. DH mixes make from 5-6 cups of batter depending on the flavor. BC and Phils make about 4-5 cups, depending on the flavor.

I use to be a DH girl, but I find myself buying more BC. I like the vanilla options and the triple chocolate cake mix, yum!

shannycakers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannycakers Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:47pm
post #8 of 40

O WOW I have not tried the Betty Crocker ones, Thank you all for your input and I def want to buy DH if it yields more cups, thats great info!! Thanks so much!!icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 6:59pm
post #9 of 40

On average it is just about a cup more. For me I go for the one that I can get more flavors with locally and that I can find when I need it. Cheaper can be nice but sometimes that doesn't factor in too much.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:33pm
post #10 of 40

I will have to give BC a try again not for a client just yet but for something at home. I am a firm DH lover and will use Pillsbury in a pinch but have never liked BC because it tasted too chemically to me. Maybe they have changed their formula because many seem to keep saying it is really good now. So I'll give it a whirl and see. It definitely is the least expensive of the 3 brands.

m1m Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m1m Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:38pm
post #11 of 40

I love Pillsbury!

Even without adding anything to it, it taste's good.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:51pm
post #12 of 40

I'm a Pillsbury gal too! I recently bought DH because it was on sale and it was horrible. Neither Hubby or I liked it at all. It wasn't for an order really, but for a bride dive cake at a bridal fair that was going to get destroyed. It tasted too chemically to me.

linstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
linstead Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 7:53pm
post #13 of 40

For me it depends on the flavor. I like PH yellow and choclate and DH white. BC is very moist but does not rise as well as the other ones for me.

AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #14 of 40

DH girl here.

mskavon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mskavon Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #15 of 40

DH only for me!

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 8:43pm
post #16 of 40

I find BC to be too crumbly, and sometimes have trouble with frosting wanting to pull away, even when I crumb coat, etc.

My mom, who decorated cakes, swore by DH because she always liked their customer service, but I haven't had to use customer service yet, as she has already had all those questions answered! icon_biggrin.gif

BeanCountingBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeanCountingBaker Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 9:07pm
post #17 of 40

I use PB for white, yellow, and strawberry. Several years back a friend said pillsbury and I have just stuck with it. Helps that they are $ .88 at Wal-Mart. Had a little trouble with BC butter pecan cake last week, tested done, but was a tiny bit under cooked in the center. In my area the only flavors of PB that are readily available are white, yellow, strawberry, and devil's food. When I need something different I use either DH or BC. I found DH carmal cake mix last week and I can't wait to figure out something to do with it.

karenm0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karenm0712 Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #18 of 40

I typically use DH, but lately when using DH white/yellow with the WASC recipe it just turns out very gummy on top...not sure what is going on, but I may switch back to PB for when I use the WASC version.

CbyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CbyA Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:03pm
post #19 of 40

DH here!

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:17pm
post #20 of 40

I like DH....pillsbury seemed drier to me, but i do like their Butter Pecan flavor.

mom_of_4girls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom_of_4girls Posted 29 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #21 of 40

DH Here!

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 2:04am
post #22 of 40

I am a DH girl. I personally like the taste better, and I had a quality issue recently and they thouroughly impressed me with their customer service.

SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SpecialtyCakesbyKelli Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #23 of 40

I guess it's just personal taste... but I use a pillsbury mix as my base.... The taste isn't much different (probably because I add the same extra ingredients to them all) but I don't care for the way DH cooks. It's not as moist and has different texture than Pillsbury to me.

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:13pm
post #24 of 40

I use the cake mix from Aldi's with great success (I doctor my cakes) but yesterday Pillsbury was on sale at the grocery store 10 for $10 so I wiped out their selection of white cake mixes. Going back today to see if they restocked thumbs_up.gif

bulseye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bulseye Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #25 of 40

I use BC - only because here in Canada we do not get PB cake mixes icon_sad.gif . Next time I am in the States I will be sure to stock up on some to try!

scanners2003 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scanners2003 Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:33pm
post #26 of 40

I've tried all three, DH, Pills, and BC. I find DH to be the best. As others have said it makes more batter plus is moist. I have no problem using Pills. either. I will never use BC again. I made a BC cake two weeks ago and it was flat and crumbly.

bakedbycody Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakedbycody Posted 30 Mar 2010 , 3:47pm
post #27 of 40

I have tried all three too, and I prefer DH.

casme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casme Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 1:44am
post #28 of 40

I use pillsbury. I feel it is the best for moistness.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 3:37am
post #29 of 40

pillsbury and nothing but, holds up to fondant and carving for me thumbs_up.gif

LaBoulangerie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBoulangerie Posted 3 Apr 2010 , 5:37am
post #30 of 40

DH, FTW! I have NEVER had a decent cake from Pillsbury mix.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%