Can You Describe The Transition...?

Business By sweetlayers Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 2:18am by sweetlayers

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:03pm
post #1 of 8

I mean the transition from part-time on your own to full time on your own?

Right now I know I'm busy enough to go full time on my own, but I believe that if I had more time to market the way I want to that it could happen very quickly if I continued to work out of my home. (legally of course)

But I'd like to know how you knew it was "time". And what it took for you to jump all the way in.

I have already written my two week notice, but it's sitting on my desk because I don't know if I'm ready to submit it!

TIA

7 replies
Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:24pm
post #2 of 8

I don't have an answer for you being as though I am only VERY part-time but I just wanted to say to trust your gut...it will never let you down.

Good Luck!

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:46am
post #3 of 8

I'm actually doing it gradually. I rent space and have been continuing to work full-time while my cake business is "part-time". However, in 2 weeks, I'm going part-time at my day job and will work cakes 8+ hours a day. I'm losing all of my benefits, such as insurance and pto, but at least I'll still continue to have a small salary. This way, I can devote more time to marketing and stuff that I haven't had enough time for. I knew it was time when I was tired exhausted, no days off and knew I couldn't keep that pace any longer. March has been exhausting and April looks pretty slow, at this moment. I plan to spend time marketing, practicing some new techniques, working on my website and updating photos, and making some additional dummy cakes to display and add to my portfolio. I think you will know when it's 'time'.

IceMaidenUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IceMaidenUK Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:00am
post #4 of 8

My business is still very new so I'm nowhere near full-time yet but I have set myself a turnover target at which I will ask to go part-time in my day job and a longer term turnover target at which I will take the scary step of quitting the day job!

If you haven't done it already a good place to start is to work out your current turnover and profit and decide if this is enough for you to survive on.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Julie

korkyo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korkyo Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 10:56am
post #5 of 8

Mine was a bit scary.

I went from working full time to 10 hours a week at a part time job to open the business. (I had a conflict of interest at the FT job) If you can manage both then I'd carry the toher job for awhile. Ya just never know how it's all going to play out. I was doing really great the first year out. I was seeing steady growth each month. Then the election year came around and it all dropped off. I'm just now coming around to some decent increases. I still do my PT job even though I couldget by with out it..... almost..

Maybe you have options for another PT job that can be managed more easily?

Just my 2 cents.

sweetlayers Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:21pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by korkyo

Mine was a bit scary.

I went from working full time to 10 hours a week at a part time job to open the business. (I had a conflict of interest at the FT job) If you can manage both then I'd carry the toher job for awhile. Ya just never know how it's all going to play out. I was doing really great the first year out. I was seeing steady growth each month. Then the election year came around and it all dropped off. I'm just now coming around to some decent increases. I still do my PT job even though I couldget by with out it..... almost..

Maybe you have options for another PT job that can be managed more easily?

Just my 2 cents.

Yeah, I have a full time job but I hate it so badly! I mean I HATE it! icon_mad.gif But I guess I should appreciate the insurance although it is TERRIBLE! I feel like I am not getting any younger and I deserve to have something for myself that I am proud of.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want to die being a cake decorator, but I want to look back and say, "Yeah, I did that!".

Thanks for all the advice.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:59pm
post #7 of 8

When I realized I could do things full time, i went to my boss and asked him if I could work part time. (at the time I was doing work in the iT field that was easily done after hours and such) I worked three days a week at my day job and then 100 hours a week at the cakes (haha!) After a year of this, I left my part time job.

DO make sure you have money to live off of during this transition for at least 6 months, ideally a year. You really dont make any money during the first couple of years (at least I didnt, i sunk it back into the business as I had to keep growing)

Good luck!!!

sweetlayers Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by loriemoms

When I realized I could do things full time, i went to my boss and asked him if I could work part time. (at the time I was doing work in the iT field that was easily done after hours and such) I worked three days a week at my day job and then 100 hours a week at the cakes (haha!) After a year of this, I left my part time job.

DO make sure you have money to live off of during this transition for at least 6 months, ideally a year. You really dont make any money during the first couple of years (at least I didnt, i sunk it back into the business as I had to keep growing)

Good luck!!!

Yeah, I think I am going to sit back and have another serious look at the finances and test the waters again with my family. But I am really feeling the entreprenuer's (sp) itch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%