Best Way Of Modelling A Fishing Boat

Decorating By CakeGalUK Updated 23 Mar 2010 , 12:09am by elliebuff

CakeGalUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeGalUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:33am
post #1 of 16

Hi all, I have had a search for this but couldn't see anything - if I've missed it please point me in the right direction!

I don't have a lot of requests for models on cakes, but I've got one and I thought I'd give it a go.

I need to make a man in a fishing boat, but I am wondering what the best way to make the boat is?

I was planning on using sugar dough, but if mexican modelling paste (or anything else is better please say)

I guess the options are:
- Carve the shape out of a solid piece
- Make base, sides as individual pieces and glue together

I had a go at making if from individual pieces but I'm not overly happy. It might just be practice I need, but I figured if someone who is really great at modelling (and I know there are loads of you on here!!) could at least tell me the best way then I'm not wasting time, materials and frustration on trying out the wrong method!!

Thanks in advance icon_smile.gif
-

15 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:51am
post #2 of 16

Hi cakeGalUK, And first of all. You are never wasting your time, Practise makes perfect ya know icon_smile.gif

2ndly, for me id rather sculpt it down from one piece rather than making it in several pieces, What type of boat is it ? If it can be simple, like a canoe *ish* type style. Have fun with it, see what you like best, thats the fun part!

Usually for modelling for i use sugar florists paste, I think its quite similiar to mexican flower paste, its more expensive but i prefer to use it because of the quality you get from it icon_smile.gif

CakeGalUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 16

Hi, thanks for replying - I should have said actually I am just going for a simple wood effect type boat.

Completely agree about practice never being a waste, but I don't do this for a living, it's just a hobby so I have to be careful about spending out on the wrong materials!!

I will give it a go from a block, I wonder if normal sugarpaste would be ok for that? (I think you guys calls it fondant)

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:47pm
post #4 of 16

well for me, im from the uk to, so its sugarpaste or rolly icing as my mum likes to call it pmsl icon_biggrin.gif You problies could use sugar paste as long as you have something to hold it up while its drying so it doesnt collapse, a bit of kitchen rolled wrapped in clingfilm should do the trick icon_biggrin.gif

personally id problies start with a sausage shape, and work it pointer at one end, and fatter at the other, then i would kinda groove out the middle till i got it how i wanted and re-shape the sides . . you could try moulding it over or in a long thinish box perhaps?

I know what you mean about not buying the wrong stuff and what not, ive had a few times ive done that but ive always found a way to use them some how

Can i ask, where in the uk you are from?

elliebuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliebuff Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 16

When I made one, I used gumpaste. I rolled out the sides of the boat, then let them dry over a coffee can and used tylose glue to put the pieces together. In the end, I was fairly happy with it, although I wish I had made the sides a little bit shorter.

I made the figures first (the person I made it for wanted a man in the boat and a dog wearing a life vest with him) so I would get the boat to be about the right size--I was afraid if I made the boat first I would end up with scale problems.

The topper I ended up making is in my pictures.

Hope that helps!

CakeGalUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:02pm
post #6 of 16

I'm in north Hampshire.

I'm wondering if I didn't leave the pieces to dry for long enough before assembling them. Maybe the answer is that both ways will work as long as I just get it right!!

Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:12pm
post #7 of 16

How long did you leave your pieces to dry for? really you want to make sure they all fit together first, and then allow them to dry for a couple of days to make sure there solid.

CakeGalUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 16

Only a few hours, but I was using sugar dough rather than sugar paste so it seems to dry really fast in comparison. Equally I wanted some flexibility to ensure that I could mould the pieces together if they didn't quite match up.

I'm just about to have another go now, I'm going to leave them to dry longer and if they don't quite line up then I can pipe royal icing over the joins.

Here goes!!

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #9 of 16

Hi UK here too.
I would use sugarpaste but mix with some CMC you can get this at any cake dec shop or off the net. You just sprinkle a little bit on work surface and knead your sugarpaste into it. This just helps it set harder.
Personally I would mould the bottom and then sides. Glue together but have some foam or something supporting it whilst it dries.
Do it in white and then once it is dry paint with colour mixed with a little vodka.
Just brush in one direction and you will get the effect of wood.
HTH

CakeGalUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:21pm
post #10 of 16

OK, this one is looking much better.

I drew it all out on paper first and made templates, then let it set a little bit then assembled it with glue but while it was still malleable enough to get the rounded bits and supported the bits that needed it.

I've done it in brown, but lighter than I want the finish so I can brush paint it when it's set for a wood effect.

Fingers crossed, thanks for all the tips! icon_smile.gif

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:39pm
post #11 of 16

Is this a topper or a cake? I made the boat portion of an ark by pressing RKT into a gravy boat and then frosted it and covered it with fondant- if that's any help to you.

CakeGalUK Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:40pm
post #12 of 16

Oh sorry it's a topper.

That's a great idea actually - although I don't have a gravy boat!!

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:46pm
post #13 of 16

I made the bass boat for this cake out of RI-flo, made a template first, cut it out, filled it in. let it dry 24 hrs and used RI to put together.

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1548591

HTH.. make sure to post pics!!

Oh elliebuff -the canoe pic was awesome

elliebuff Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #14 of 16

Thanks, tesso!

Good luck with it, CakeGal...it sounds like you have it figured out!

CakeGalUK Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:41pm
post #15 of 16

elliebuff - I've just had a look at your pics, mine is not far off the one you've done in a way. You're good at the people!! icon_smile.gif

Oh, love the donut cake. Nom.

elliebuff Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 12:09am
post #16 of 16

Thanks, CakeGal! I bought two of Aine2's tutorials and they were so incredibly helpful...step by step, good pictures, very clear. I highly recommend them!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%