Wow - Viva Paper Towels

Decorating By cake-angel Updated 28 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm by TexasSugar

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:44am
post #1 of 22

These paper towels are just not available here in Canada but I have heard so much about them that I wanted to see what they look like and feel like so I thought I would order a roll online. I did find a site that would ship to Canada and at first I was really excited - I thought problem solved! Until I went to check out and discovered that my 3.14 roll of papertowel would be accompanied by 23.84 in shipping charges. EEEK to put it mildly. That may be a little too steep for a cake smoothing tool. LOL.

Just a vent - I guess. I was really hoping I was onto something here. I guess I will just keep looking for another way.

Thanks for listening.

21 replies
SPCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCC Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #2 of 22

See if maybe you can find a website that has samples?

Mrs-A Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mrs-A Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #3 of 22

heheheh... i have visions of american CC'ers creating an underground in Viva paper towels and smuggling it out of the country

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:03am
post #4 of 22

Try using Presidents choice dinner napkins 2 ply, worked for me.

rainyone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainyone Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:20am
post #5 of 22

it might not be food safe ( debateable ) but the blue shop towels you can get at costco/cdn tire etc work great.

cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPCC

See if maybe you can find a website that has samples?

Thanks for the idea -- I haven't seen one offering samples just yet but I'll keep my eyes open.

Quote:
Quote:

heheheh... i have visions of american CC'ers creating an underground in Viva paper towels and smuggling it out of the country

I know what you mean. LOL. It seems strange that we have tons of Kleenex products in Canada but not that one.

Quote:
Quote:

Try using Presidents choice dinner napkins 2 ply, worked for me

I will look into those because I do have access to a Superstore so maybe ..... In a pinch one time I used king sized facial tissue. It worked great except for I had to be careful of the fold in the center that would leave marks.

Thanks for the replies. Sometimes it just makes me feel better to know I am not the only one out there wishing some things in the cake world were just a little more accessible.

cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:42am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyone

it might not be food safe ( debateable ) but the blue shop towels you can get at costco/cdn tire etc work great.

I have seriously eyed those up a few times too. LOL. They have a nice soft cloth look to them.

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 3:43am
post #8 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

Too funny!

Have you tried using parchment paper? It works in a pinch (say I've run out or something). It works just fine - just not as easy to maneuver so that you don't mark your cake with the paper.

cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:01am
post #9 of 22

Oh yes - I have used parchment, computer paper, waxed paper -- They do alright but as you said they are harder to manuver and when I was doing my most recent doll cake I was working on smoothing small details on the dress and needed something really flexible - thus my use of facial tissue. That is what got me thinking of the viva situation.

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:27am
post #10 of 22

Have you ever tried the high density foam roller? I tried this a month or so ago and wow..... im hooked!!!! You can wash it and santize it and use it again and again..... I dont think I will ever fight with anything else ever again...

DreamMaker2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DreamMaker2 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:37am
post #11 of 22

Cake-Angel - Perhaps you can go to your local store and ask the manager to order and stock them for you. Some stores are willing to accomodate their customers. Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

sweettooth101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:06pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Quote:

Try using Presidents choice dinner napkins 2 ply, worked for me

I will look into those because I do have access to a Superstore so maybe ..... In a pinch one time I used king sized facial tissue. It worked great except for I had to be careful of the fold in the center that would leave marks.

I forgot to mention I iron them first and cut the patterned border off.

Mug-a-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mug-a-Bug Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #13 of 22

How much does it ACTUALLY cost to ship to Canada? If it's cheap, I wouldn't mind shipping a roll for you.

kaat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaat Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:44pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs-A

Sssshhhh Don't tell anyone! ... My SIL lives in Buffalo - every time we visit I snag some Viva for me and my cake friends!
Along with cereal and cookies! icon_rolleyes.gif

cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:41pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamMaker2

Cake-Angel - Perhaps you can go to your local store and ask the manager to order and stock them for you. Some stores are willing to accomodate their customers. Just a thought! icon_smile.gif

Hi. The problem here is when you ask a store manager here they look at you like you have 2 heads. They have never even heard of it. It isn't on thier order lists. I just sent an email out to the manufacturer to see if they have something the same in Canada maybe marketed under a different name or if it is possible for them to start selling the brand in Canada. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens.

Quote:
Quote:

How much does it ACTUALLY cost to ship to Canada? If it's cheap, I wouldn't mind shipping a roll for you.

Thanks for the offer. I really appreciate it. I have no idea what it would really cost but I did get a PM from another member who offered to send me a roll just so I could check itout. I am extremely grateful for everyones generosity here. It is easy to love CC with so many kind and wonderful people here.

Quote:
Quote:

I forgot to mention I iron them first and cut the patterned border off.

LOL. I would never even thought of doing that but then again I haven't plugged in my Iron in at least 2 years - hate ironing - avoid it at all costs. For cake decorating though I might be persuaded Ito use it if I get a smooth cake out of it.

cake-angel Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bfisher2

Have you ever tried the high density foam roller? I tried this a month or so ago and wow..... im hooked!!!! You can wash it and santize it and use it again and again..... I dont think I will ever fight with anything else ever again...

I did try it a couple of years back and it is a good technique but I find it doesn't help when I am trying to smooth small areas of piped decorations like I had on my last doll cake. I need somethig really flexible and easy to manuver in those situations.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #17 of 22

A clean pillowcase or other piece of high-quality cotton works just fine.

sweettooth101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 9:19pm
post #18 of 22

LOL I am allergic to ironing my husband does it but napkins ..... I make an exception.

cake-angel Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:29am
post #19 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

A clean pillowcase or other piece of high-quality cotton works just fine.

Now that is an idea -- maybe a trip to my fabric store is in order.

cake-angel Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:00am
post #20 of 22

I just thought I would let you know that I got a response to my email that I sent to the manufacturer of Viva with regards to getting it in Canada. They said they do not sell any paper towel products in Canada at all. They are sending me coupons for facial tissue. Oh well - it was worth a try. LOL.

Anyway - I will continue on my quest for the perfect tool for my needs. I am going to get a sample of Viva from a very kind CCer on here. I look forward to working with it. I will also try the other alternatives that everyone has mentioned.

Thank you all for listening to my vent and for all your helpful suggestions on how to solve it!

Bfisher2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bfisher2 Posted 23 Mar 2010 , 5:18am
post #21 of 22

hmmmm.... that high quality cotton sounds interesting for over all smoothing.... I have some really hard cotton cloth...... time to plaaaaaaaaay..... thank you for the tip!!!!!

Cake-Angel.... I wonder why they dont sell in Canada, that almost sounds comical considering almost every chain line we have here is american based...*LOL*.... I wonder if they know about us.... maybe you could let them know....icon_wink.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 28 Apr 2010 , 1:46pm
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyone

I'm not sure why those would be any different than using viva on a cake?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%