Best Frosting?

Baking By AmandaCMH Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 12:25am by Lita829

AmandaCMH Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #1 of 11

I just got my "The Best Ever Frosting Kit" and Im wanting to play around with them...my question to you is, what do you use for your frosting?? I was thinking Wilton's buttercream recipe but is that too crusty?? What do you all think? icon_smile.gif

10 replies
JGMB Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 10:16pm
post #2 of 11

I always use Wilton's Buttercream for cupcakes and it doesn't seem too crusty. It pipes nicely and people gobble them up! But, I like to use whipping cream in place of the milk -- I just like that version better for some reason. Have fun playing with your new kit!

AmandaCMH Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 11

Thanks!! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMB

I always use Wilton's Buttercream for cupcakes and it doesn't seem too crusty. It pipes nicely and people gobble them up! But, I like to use whipping cream in place of the milk -- I just like that version better for some reason. Have fun playing with your new kit!


Lita829 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 11:16pm
post #4 of 11

I use either a variation of Wilton's buttercream or SMBC. I like them both. I don't think that the Wilton's recipe is too crusty and the vanilla SMBC tastes like vanilla softserve icecream....YUM!

AmandaCMH Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:49am
post #5 of 11

I checked out the SMBC and it sounds yummy!! What is your variation of the Wilton's?? Heavy cream in place of milk like pp or something else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I use either a variation of Wilton's buttercream or SMBC. I like them both. I don't think that the Wilton's recipe is too crusty and the vanilla SMBC tastes like vanilla softserve icecream....YUM!


Lita829 Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 11:10am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaCMH

I checked out the SMBC and it sounds yummy!! What is your variation of the Wilton's?? Heavy cream in place of milk like pp or something else??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lita829

I use either a variation of Wilton's buttercream or SMBC. I like them both. I don't think that the Wilton's recipe is too crusty and the vanilla SMBC tastes like vanilla softserve icecream....YUM!




I use heavy cream or juices instead of milk. I also increased the meringue powder.

vickymacd Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:16pm
post #7 of 11

I also like the Wilton bc and always use heavy whipping cream. I also
use half butter and half shortening. If making roses, I use all shortening.
I also like almond extract in it. I find it a bit sweet, but I also am not a frosting lover. Anyone that eats this loves it.

Also, I used to use the Meringue pwd in the frosting, but have since found it doesn't seem to matter. Someone told me it was just a Wilton scam. I'm not a professional, so I don't know how much it really makes a difference.

Sugarbutter Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 1:30am
post #8 of 11

I just received an order for 200 cupcakes. The bride said: "really simple" but her gown is an original design, slimming with lots of tulle from below the waist to the floor. Far from simple. I suggested a cake but she was hesitant. I think a tiered cake or cupcakes would be about the same price, if the cake also was simple.

Any ideas?

AmandaCMH Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 11

Maybe a single tier of cake and cupcakes on the stand underneath?? Maybe you could wrap your boards with white tulle, and accent with ribbons or something. Just cupcakes could look fantastic too... white white swirls with maybe silver dragees... pretty simple but very elegant too. and maybe tie thin ribbon around the cupcakes themselves( im doing something very similiar for my good friend's baby shower this weekend)... Good luck Im sure it'll be gorgeous! icon_smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbutter

I just received an order for 200 cupcakes. The bride said: "really simple" but her gown is an original design, slimming with lots of tulle from below the waist to the floor. Far from simple. I suggested a cake but she was hesitant. I think a tiered cake or cupcakes would be about the same price, if the cake also was simple.

Any ideas?


Sugarbutter Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:12am
post #10 of 11

Thank you, I'll try your suggestion. I can see it in my head. How lovely.

Lita829 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:25am
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by vickymacd

I also like the Wilton bc and always use heavy whipping cream. I also
use half butter and half shortening. If making roses, I use all shortening.
I also like almond extract in it. I find it a bit sweet, but I also am not a frosting lover. Anyone that eats this loves it.

Also, I used to use the Meringue pwd in the frosting, but have since found it doesn't seem to matter. Someone told me it was just a Wilton scam. I'm not a professional, so I don't know how much it really makes a difference.




Ditto on making Wilton's BC with 1/2 butter 1/2 shortening and making roses with shortening. I'm not a pro, either icon_redface.gif , but I am guessing that the meringue powder helps to lighten it up a bit. I noticed with the extra meringue powder it seems a little bit fluffier.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%