Fondant/gumpaste Rope

Decorating By vervainangel Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm by CakeEvolution

vervainangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vervainangel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 8

any tips on making long tubes/rope with fondant/gumpaste that doesn't crack or peel apart while rolling it with your hands.

7 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 8:53pm
post #2 of 8

get a clay gun - it saves a lot of trouble!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 12:50am
post #3 of 8

The clay guns have a rope extruder (hope that's the right word) - it's like the three strings together - then you just twist slightly. Make life tons easier!! I cannot hand roll them for the life of me.

mamawrobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamawrobin Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 1:40am
post #4 of 8

Makins clay extruder. Best thing I've bought in awhile. Got mine at Hobby Lobby and used my 40% off coupon. Only cost me $12.49 thumbs_up.gif

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 6:19am
post #5 of 8

If you can't get your hands on a Makins Ultimate clay extruder, try this tip that another CCer once posted. All you need is a stiff plastic sheet - ideal item is those "flexible cutting mats" - the kind you can buy for appx 2 mats for $6-$10. Start by rolling your fondant out into a rope shape with your hands, but then place the mat on top and use THAT as your flat "hands" to roll. Apply just a bit of pressure and move the mat left or right as needed to nudge the rope into extending. The only real problem I've ever had with this method is that of course those cutting mats are only appx 15" long so if you need your rope longer, you have to work in sections. Then again same goes for the extruder.

Hope that made some sense!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:21am
post #6 of 8

also seen decorators start rolling the fonant then place a fondant smoother or icing smoother(scraper) plastic, flexible kind... on top and keep it rolling . until you get the desired length. bronwen webber showed us this at a class. you can always cut and join to make it go around the cake good. you cut at an angle to make it look right.hth

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8

I am about to purchase a clay gun VERY SOON.... but until then i do this..
Roll fondant into a large rope then take 2 wooden dowels and place the fondant in between....Now roll all together..
Keep rolling until you get the desired length... you can get various size dowels (length and width) to achieve various rope sizes, but for now I use the standard "Wilton" wooden dowel size and use it 2-3 times to get a longer rope

For example if the dowel is 12in long once the fondant becomes 12" I cut it and place to the side... I may need to do this several times BECAUSE if the fondant become much LONGER than your dowels...it tends to bend or loose it shape... HTH

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:29pm
post #8 of 8

I am about to purchase a clay gun VERY SOON.... but until then i do this..
Roll fondant into a large rope then take 2 wooden dowels and place the fondant in between....Now roll all together..
Keep rolling until you get the desired length... you can get various size dowels (length and width) to achieve various rope sizes, but for now I use the standard "Wilton" wooden dowel size and use it 2-3 times to get a longer rope

For example if the dowel is 12in long once the fondant become 12" i cut and place to the side... I made need to do this several times BECAUSE if the fondant become LONGER than your dowels...it tends to bend or loose it shape... HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%