Boxes... Would This Turn You Off?

Decorating By mindy1204 Updated 6 Apr 2010 , 3:09am by Lita829

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 14

I made a cake that is being picked up today and will be transported about and hour away. The cake has stars coming out of the top (in my albums) and a regular cake box wasn't going to work. Usually I get boxes from my office and use those for taller cakes but we didnt have any deliveries this week. I went to Home Depot and bought one of their moving boxes. I was perfect. Tall enough that it didnt hit the stars and is very strong and solid.

The box was new and clean but would it turn you off to see the cake in a Home Depot box. I would love to use them more often, the price was right and they are very sturdy.

13 replies
JustToEatCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustToEatCake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:08pm
post #2 of 14

Get some contact paper and cover them in a nice print. Honestly it would bother me a bit if I wasn't into caking, since I am it wouldn't but you know what I mean.

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:16pm
post #3 of 14

No it wouldn't bother me if it wasn't in a cake box..maybe if it was a kitty litter or onion box...lol

kathik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathik Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:21pm
post #4 of 14

I'm with revel. It wouldn't bother me. In fact I might feel like you went out of your way to get a sturdy box for me (the home depot box, definitely not a product box).

If you knew they were taking it to a venue, I would cover it nicely and somehow put your business logo on it, but not to a home.

Kathi

saapena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saapena Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:34pm
post #5 of 14

I would probably cover the inside with foil and use non-skid liner underneath the cake just to be on the safe side. As others said, I would be glad you put my cake in a sturdy box! I have bought "cake" boxes and they are so flimsy that if you don't support them with two hands, you will be in trouble (yes, my cakes are on cake boards).

impala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
impala Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:37pm
post #6 of 14

I have actually used home depot boxes as well. The do work perfect for tiered cakes. I would not mind at all.

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 14

Thanks ladies.. I did put the shelve liner under the cake.. I do that with all my cakes anyway. Next time I use one I will put the foil on the inside and contact paper on the outside.

I hate wilton boxes, we have a bakery here and I get my boxes from her a little sturdier but they are no where near big enough for the larger/tiered cakes.

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:44pm
post #8 of 14

I wouldn't care because I know it's practical... but for a consumer, I think every bit of a presentation is important... so like everyone else said, just cover it in a nice print- then you have durability and it is presentable!

Ballymena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ballymena Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #9 of 14

I always use the non-slip shelf liner, better safe than sorry. I buy my large boxes from rental places like U-Haul. They are new and I don't see any reason to line the box, after all the cake doesn't touch it.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #10 of 14

I get potato chip boxes from my kids school on chip day for free...I use those for my smaller tiered cakes and 3D cakes.I use a piece of skid proof shelf liner so it doesn't move around.I have never had a customer complain or make any comments.I think as long as it is clean and not greasy or dirty looking I don't think anyone would mind.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:30am
post #11 of 14

On rainy windy days I place my tiered wedding cakes in Home Depot boxes too and I've had customer pick up tiered cakes in the boxes as well...no one has minded. It protects the cake and that's what matters.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 2:50am
post #12 of 14

I"m going to have to start doing that.... I was using the Domino sugar boxes from Sam's, they were the perfect size and shape and very very sturdy. Well I went today and they are changing alot of their name brands they use...and they have a new brand with flimsy smaller boxes now! thumbsdown.gif

I found a couple of the Domino boxes left and snagged two of them but not even sure if I have enough for this weekend's orders or not....

holywhackbecky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holywhackbecky Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:07am
post #13 of 14

I get shiping boxes from staples. They are very sturdy. I would be weary of a box from home depot... dirt, bugs, etc. Though I suppose the same could be said from an office supply store. icon_lol.gif

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 6 Apr 2010 , 3:09am
post #14 of 14

You could try www.papermart.com . They have plain boxes of all sizes in packs of 25. I use them for larger cakes.

They have all sorts of paper goods and their prices are reasonable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%