Has Anyone Had Problems With Wal-Mart??

Decorating By lreyna25 Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm by lreyna25

lreyna25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lreyna25 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:39pm
post #1 of 7

I am so angry right now...so I need some advice or at least I would like to know if others have the same issue.

I have bought the Deco-Pac figurines from Wal-Mart for years; its cheaper and faster than ordering from the company...no problem. At one of the local Wal-Marts I "befriended" the bakery/decorator girls...very nice...when I need edible images, etc. they are very accommodating.

So I saw on CC that you can buy the whipped frosting from Sams but its too much to buy at one time, so I asked the girls at the Wal-Mart if I could get a container and she said sure and sold it to me! Super convenient!

So I go today and neither one was there and the girl working in the bakery calls the assistant store manager who states its against Wal-Mart policy to sell bakery items to the public (if not used on a cake, etc). So I asked about the Deco-Pac items and he said absolutely not that they are NOT to sell anything individually... I explained I paid for the item, it wasn't stolen...and he said he would have to reprimand the girl.

First of all I feel bad but were they really wrong in selling the items? If anyone knows I would appreciate a little help...of course the cake I have is for tomorrow!?

Thanks for reading my rant!

6 replies
leily Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leily Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 7

As for the kits and the edible images a few years ago when I worked there (not sure if any thing has changed since then) There is a specific bar code they can print off to sell them.

As for the icing and other items, it is against their policy b/c they don't have a barcode to put on them.

You may want to call and speak directly to the bakery manager to get a final answer, as the store manager may not know for sure.

lreyna25 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 7

I will speak with the manager...I really appreciated them helping me out and they price they gave me was fair, I wasn't paying too little...

Thanks for the answer!

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:10pm
post #4 of 7

Yes, they were wrong for selling the individual kits to you. Sam's nor Wal~Mart have license to sell them like that. However, some stores...not just walmart...have a barcode that they create for miscellaneous items and use this for such items even though they're not supposed to. "A sale is a sale!" "Whatever it takes to make the customer happy!" "The customer gets what they want!" are all comments I've heard. Then, you have those that abide by the rules.

Bakery Crafts and DecoPac have the same policy in regards to the licensed kits and images. Images, as long as they aren't copyrighted, can be scanned for you.

Reneeblueeyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Reneeblueeyes Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:17pm
post #5 of 7

I experienced the same thing.....at WalMart and Brookshires.

Where I live, there is only a Brookshires and they will sell me the toppers, and they WERE selling me the icing, but one day I got a very RUDE employee and they stopped selling it...of course after the fit I through, I did get that last tub, but no more since.

I feel your pain, a Sams is to far for me to drive, so I just make up a bunch of home-made icing.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:18pm
post #6 of 7

I know for sure that they aren't suppossed to, but some will and some won't. My Wal-Mart near me won't , but the 1 in the next town will. If I need Rich's I go to the Bi-Lo and they sell it by the pound.

lreyna25 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:24pm
post #7 of 7

Rich's is what I want but I haven't found it here in NC, there is not a Bi-Lo near me...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%