Posting My First Cake On Cc - Need Critique/responses Please

Decorating By pj22 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm by pj22

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:36am
post #1 of 14

Here's a cake I had done a year ago for a bridal shower. It's all buttercream and had a filling of fresh strawberries.

It's the first cake I'm posting on CC icon_smile.gif Looking forward to your comments and critique icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for looking!
LL

13 replies
ayerim979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ayerim979 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:01am
post #2 of 14

Well congrats for being your first pic. Love your scroll work.

chefbarbie0513 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefbarbie0513 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:25pm
post #3 of 14

Great color

cakeaddictunite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeaddictunite Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:52pm
post #4 of 14

scroll work is beautiful! thumbs_up.gif

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 2:24pm
post #5 of 14

Looks really great for your first cake!! Your scrollwork is very nice! Your borders are consistent and even. The colors are great, too. Your base icing looks nice and smooth. Overall great job!! icon_smile.gif

Be sure and post it in the galleries so folks can see it who don't happen across this post.

Might want to start checking out some of the ideas on here for cake boards is all. For this cake, I probably would have cut some foamcore or several rectangular cake boards to the same shape as the cake - and you can wrap the boards then in either cake foil (just looks prettier) - or sometimes I wrap with matching wrapping paper then cover with clear contact paper. But - contact paper isn't food safe - so I ice the cake on a regular cake board, then use a little hot glue and glue the cake onto the base. Hope that makes sense.

pj22 Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 5:40pm
post #6 of 14

Thanks for your comments icon_smile.gif

Appreciate the tips LeckieAnne.

How much would you guys pay for this cake? I'm asking so that I have a rough idea of the range, though this was done for free! TIA!

LeckieAnne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeckieAnne Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #7 of 14

I'm just a hobby baker really - so can't help much with pricing. There's a ton of threads on pricing - you won't really find an answer quickly. I would find local bakers (if you bake from home - you have to be sure it's legal in your state to sell cakes from home) making the same type/quality of cakes and see what they are charging. You'll have some research to do.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 20 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #8 of 14

Oy.

Is this the first cake you've ever done, or the first cake you've ever posted here on Cake Central? It was a little unclear in your first post.

pj22 Posted 21 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #9 of 14

This is my 5th or 6th cake that I've done and the first one to be posted on CC icon_smile.gif

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 12:39pm
post #10 of 14

It's beautiful!! I hope you post more into your gallery for us to enjoy. icon_smile.gif

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:24pm
post #11 of 14

Very nice! I have never done scroll work, so I'm very impressed. Is it freehand or do you use a stencil?

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 3:30pm
post #12 of 14

The galleries are for posting your cake photos. That way people can leave comments and save cake photos to their favorites.

Click on the "Galleries" tab at the top of this page. Then, underneath that tab you will see "upload picture". Use that link to load your photo into your own gallery.

icon_smile.gif
Kathy
Photo Gallery Moderator

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 4:37pm
post #13 of 14

I would recommend lots of practice before you think about charging (if you can even do that from home where you are). You're off to a good start.

Did you carve the cakes or use comma-shaped pans? If you did carve (which I stink at BTW) maybe you could make a cardboard template to lay on top for a pattern. If you plan to do lots of cakes in this shape, you may want to invest in a set of the pans.

I agree about the cake boards. Use foam core, plywood, masonite, a couple of cardboards, etc. cut to size and covered or pre-covered drums. It makes a world of difference.

pj22 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 8:57pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

I did the scroll work free hand.. did not use a stencil

I used the Wilton Paisley-shaped 3 pan set. I really liked the design of the pan. Got it on Amazon for $35.

Yes, will post more pics in the gallery soon icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks for looking!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%