Annoying Customer Story :-)

Business By Kitagrl Updated 19 Mar 2010 , 3:25am by KKC

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:56pm
post #1 of 6

Had a customer call me about two weeks ago....she wanted a tasting. She had a 20 serving birthday cake due in 3 weeks and a 40 serving wedding due in a few months.

I recommended she go ahead and book the birthday and then do the tasting (paid, for such a small cake!) for the wedding. She insisted she refuses to pay for cake that she has not tasted first. *sigh* So she chooses three flavors to taste and I tell her to prepay $25.

So now the tasting is tomorrow and she has not paid. Plus the birthday cake date is now booked up. Decided to call her and hope she has cancelled. I call and say "Hi, you had a cake tasting appointment for tomorrow...but you have not paid...does this mean you changed your mind?" She was like "Oh. Yeah well I'm working with a baker in New Jersey...I have several cakes you know, and I have several different options I'm working with for them." I wanted to say "Well that was RUDE not to call and cancel your appointment, Ms. Diva" but instead I was like "Okay then I will cancel your appointment for tomorrow" and she was like "Okay thanks for calling". Sheesh. Luckily I had not baked nor made fillings for her tastings yet...and I do have one more paid tasting tomorrow as well as lots of mini cupcakes to make so nothing really wasted.

So for a grand total of 60 servings between a birthday and a wedding, she is standing up cake appointments and still "working with bakeries" as if she were buying cake for an entire stadium of people? Is she mental? (And if the baker in NJ is reading this...HAVE FUN!!!! haha)

5 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 6

Yeah, I had an inquiry once for a 3D sailboat for 30 ppl. and she wanted a free tasting and asking my thoughts on swiss meringue. She EMAILED, asked for the tasting because they didn't feel comfortable ordering off a website AND THEN asked for my website.

I had an expo the day of her event, so after the third annoying email, I cut her loose.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 5:38pm
post #3 of 6

She would have been a fun one to work with! icon_cool.gif I always email at least 2 days in advance for tastings. Luckily that has always worked for me! **knocking on wood** icon_razz.gif

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 9:36pm
post #4 of 6

Hey, I am a licensed baker in NJ, if she calls, I'll quote her $100 for a tasting, that sound good? (Then if she sets up an appointment, I'll make sure my shop is closed that day and I won't show up without calling her to cancel)

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 1:31am
post #5 of 6

I have decided to add to my website that I will not offer tasting for cakes that feed less than 100 people. Just not worth my time!

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 19 Mar 2010 , 3:25am
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by wendyintx

I have decided to add to my website that I will not offer tasting for cakes that feed less than 100 people. Just not worth my time!

I added the same thing last year when I had someone not show up for a tasting and then popped up the next day requesting a tasting icon_mad.gif They seem to think that the samples are free until I tell them $15.00/per person (3 samples)...they usually say "never mind, I'll just trust you and place an order". icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%