My Focus Is Party Cakes, Not Wedding....need Suggestions!

Business By FH_Cakes Updated 17 Mar 2010 , 12:25pm by 1234me

FH_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FH_Cakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 5

I have done a couple Weddings but prefer Party Cakes. Most if not all of my competition do Weddings, so my questions is this: How do I market myself for Party Cakes (Birthdays, Baby Shower, Celebrations). I was considering taking samples to local Birthday Party Venues, Party Stores, Baby Botiques.....Where else???

4 replies
nwnest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nwnest Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:23pm
post #2 of 5

Preschools, call and ask if they have a social event coming up you can bring a cake to. Or social groups for mothers with toddlers (in my town they call it MOPs, Mothers Of Preschoolers,) they would love to have a cake for a meeting. That is the age when parents start having social parties for their kids. Preschool moms can be very, very networked, they are always asking eachother for referrals for all sorts of things. It gets you in early, you could be doing party cakes for their families for YEARS.

How about Red Hat Ladies? That's another social group with a lot of gatherings, and they are at an age where they may not want to fuss with making a cake themselves. My local newspaper lists club meetings and contact information every week.

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 10:25pm
post #3 of 5

I'm in the same boat as you! I just prefer the more creativity and freedom in party cakes. It's something about surprising the guest of honor and making them feel extra special.
Maybe it's the stress of a wedding cake that I don't like?
I'd like to hear others idea's too.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:12pm
post #4 of 5

I have the opposite problem, I do tons of party cakes but would like to do more wedding cakes. It is a catch 22 situation, since I do more party cakes, my website is mostly party cakes and hence I get a lot of orders for them. Since I do less wedding cakes, thus fewer on my website so brides think I am more into party cakes and don't contact me.
But I digress, the q is, how to get more party cake business. Does your area have a newspaper type publication for parents. We have the Parent paper, put out monthly that you can pick up at libraries and schools for free. You can advertise in it and some months are devoted to one type of industry, like early spring has articles on camps and camp advertising. Another month is kids birthday party planning articles and thus you can advertise your business in that issue. HTH

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:25pm
post #5 of 5

Call around to local party locations - bouncy house places, skating rink, etc and talk to the owner. Show them what you offer and see if they will recommend you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%