First Wedding Request- Cupcake Price Help?

Baking By meredith1851 Updated 18 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm by meredith1851

meredith1851 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meredith1851 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 8:24pm
post #1 of 10

Ok, first request to do cupcakes for a wedding of a friend of a friend (I don't have a biz...just a home baker who loves to make cupcakes.)
She is looking for simple, cheap and very flexible. Only 35 people at the wedding so thought 50 cupcakes would be enough. Said there is a black and white damask theme but is totally open to whatever and wants to keep it simple. What would you all roughly charge for say some choc and some vanilla cupcakes, all with vanilla frosting and maybe a small black fondant flower on each? (I was thinking I could use silver foil OR damask cupcake liners...she has the cupcake tree and all I need to do is make the cupcakes.) Thoughts?? Any advise would be great. We are in the Northeast and I was thinking like $2 to $2.50 per cupcake which I assume includes everything?

9 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 9:56pm
post #2 of 10

I charge $2.50 each for my basic swirled icing cupcakes..If I add any fondant flowers etc they go up from there..Just because she is only having 35 people doesn't mean that she should expect you to make cupcakes for 25 cents each.Make sure you make it worth your time....They are very fussy and take longer to do than a standard cake so go from there.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 10

I agree with kiddiekakes, small and simple does not mean cheap. my basic cupcake is $2.50, fondant accents or flowers are extra.

meredith1851 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 11:51pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks for your responses. So when you say extra for fondant, how much are we talking for a simple flat fondant flower? Does that bring it to $3.oo per cupcake or more?

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 12:04am
post #5 of 10

I do a fondant plunger flower with a sugar pearl center and it adds 25-50 cents to the cost, depending on size. My RI flowers like pansy are 50 cents extra. When you say fondant flower, I am not sure what you mean, the plunger flower is easy to do so I can bang out 100 in a short time. If you are talking about a hand molded fondant flower, the cost would be much higher.

meredith1851 Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 10

Thanks Patty..that is very helpful! I was thinking more like a plunger or cutout flat daisy flower...nothing 3D or molded so pretty much what you said.
The bride was also thinking of adding just a very small cake as well to the top of the cupcake tower that they could cut, so not sure what that should be priced at... basically it would match the cupcakes with some buttercream and a fondant flower....

pattycakesnj Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 10

the cake on top should cost whatever you charge per serving plus additional for any special detail work.

CakeEvolution Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeEvolution Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 3:53am
post #8 of 10

This is some great advice....thanks everyone

DeeDelightful Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeeDelightful Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:10am
post #9 of 10

The bride should understand she is not getting off any cheaper because she's having a small wedding. Looks like she's still going to have a $100-$150 order (or more).

meredith1851 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 4:45pm
post #10 of 10

Thank all for replying.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%