My First Large Cupcake Order!!! Quick Q...

Baking By Roxybc Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm by jayne1873

Roxybc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxybc Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:20pm
post #1 of 6

I've just got an order for 100 cupcakes for a wedding, but I'm not quite sure how I'm going to cook them all. I live in the UK where our ovens are really tiny. To give you an idea, I bought a Wilton mini 24 cupcake pan from Target when I was in the US, and it's to big to fit in my oven! If I'm using both shelves in my oven I can bake 24 cupcakes at a time, (I've never baked 2 pans at the same time before - will they bake evenly?) Each batch takes about 22-25 mins to bake, so I'm guessing I should allow approx 3 hours of baking time (provided that I can bake 24 at a time). I'm also thinking that it might be faster and easy for me if I pre-measure all my dry ingredients and combine them together a day before hand, and have them ready in plastic bags or containers so I can just sift them a few mins before I have to use them. i'd also make the icing before hand, as I always find this takes me a long time. What are your thoughts on this? Does anyone have any tips or tricks to speed up the process, and can anyone advise me of how long it takes them for a big order? My kitchen is tiny, I don't even know where I'm going to store all these cupcakes!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

5 replies
Parable Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Parable Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:33pm
post #2 of 6

I think you are on the right track, planning ahead. Have you thought about how you will transport? I would suggest (from my experience with a huge cc order) to have your boxes ready and, after a batch is cooled, go ahead and put the cupcakes in the boxes. Then, as time allows, you can start decorating them right in the boxes. As a box is finished then you can put it aside and continue with the next. Word of warning though, don't close up the boxes too tightly because they will begin to sweat. Ask me how I know this! lol

As for the small oven, I would suggest you try the two pans at once but alternate them half way through the cooking process so they cook evenly. You may find that with two pans it might take longer to cook also.

Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 6

Yes, make lots of icing ahead. Measure the dry ingredients, or even make up the batter ahead of time and keep it cold. Usually cold batter works better for cupcakes anyway.

And this is just a general question. I can't even imagine an oven that small. Wha do you do if you want to bake a large chicken or even a small turkey?

60sBunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
60sBunny Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 1:43pm
post #4 of 6

I'm with parable.

My oven isnt huge but I can handle an order of 100 in half a day. Less if its the same flavour.

Organisation is the key. Weighing out your ingredients is a good idea, but leave out your raising agents and add them before you sift in. Then you wont be wondering, did I put baking powder in? They can also react with the other ingredients to become more or less potent.

I go like this. I have 4 pans, LIners go in 2, oven goes on, I mix the fist batch, use a cookie scoop to measure out, and in the oven I switch shelves and turn 180 half way through.

Once the cakes are in, I clean down the bowl, line the next 2 trays and mix again. when the 1st set come out, you'll be ready to scoop in the second set and pop them in the oven. I use 24 cake boxes from cupcakeboxesuk, to cool (lid open), store and then to decorate in.

It will be quite tiring, but looking at all those pretty cupcakes will perk you up.

As for Icings, I do not premake anymore, Room temp is too, and fridge temp is too cold to make the day beofre, and piping for me is always easiest when the icing if fresh.

For your own sanity, even if it is for a friend, stick to batches of 12, if they want 100 they can have 96 or 108, they can decide too many or too few, and you dont have any wierd sized batched or waste.

Good Luck x

kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

I was wondering the same thing as Leah- I can't imagine an oven that small! You could also bake and freeze ahead of time, wrap them once they are cool. If you are using BC, you can make that days ahead and there is no need for refrigeration.

jayne1873 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jayne1873 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 4:00pm
post #6 of 6

I just want to say goodluck. I had someone ask me for 150 cupcakes and said no as thought the same as you how would I get them in the oven, out, where would I put them etc etc.
Let us know how it goes and pics icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%