Please Recommend - Shoe Kits...

Decorating By onemissa Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm by CakeCrystals

onemissa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onemissa Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:47am
post #1 of 6

I want to make a stiletto cake for the first time and I would like some opinions on which shoe kit works the best. There are so many gumpaste shoe kits out there that I really don't know which one to purchase. Any help would be really appreciated. TIA!!

5 replies
Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 2:57am
post #2 of 6

I think something that is important is to make sure the "angle" of the bed of the shoe is right. I see a lot of them that don't look right, the angle is too sharp?? I read somewhere to buy a NEW shoe - cover it with saran wrap and use that to dry the shoe - I am betting that would work better than some of the forms.....the angles would be correct that way.

I have the "medium" size one from GSA - I think it's from FMM? The shoe is in my pics.....not a stiletto though.

If I need a real sized one, I would copy one of the patterns off of here (in the galleries) and use the real shoe as a former.

dguerrant Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dguerrant Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:05am
post #3 of 6

IWOULD AGREE WITH LOUCINDA, A LOT OF THE SHOES I SEE LOOK INCREDIBLY PAINFUL. i LIKE TO MAKE THEM TO LOOK LIKE EXACT MINATURES OF A REAL SHOE ALL THE WAY DOWN TO THE CORRECT ANGLE OF THE SHOES SOLE. LOOK FOR ONE THAT LOOKS LIKE IT WOULD BE COMFORTABLE AND THAT WILL HELP YOU TO BE MORE PLEASED WITH THE FINAL OUTCOME. I MADE MY OWN PATTERN AND FORM TO DRY THEM ON, SO I'M NOT SURE ABOUT THE KITS OUT THERE. GOOD LUCK icon_smile.gif

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:08am
post #4 of 6

I recently (in the past few months) saw a video tutorial from Pink Cake Box where they used a real shoe to shape it. I haven't tried it, but have been dying to make a shoe box cake!! It was a great tutorial, one I will definitely reference when I need to. Check out their website/blog for it. I bet this is the least expensive way to go, a lot less expensive than some of those kits.

NoahLili Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NoahLili Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:13am
post #5 of 6

I just found the tutorial under their blog. Click on tutorials and it's the first one that pops up.

CakeCrystals Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeCrystals Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 3:28pm
post #6 of 6

I used the tutorial from the pink cake box to make my gumpaste shoe. Using an actual shoe as a former will give you a more realistic looking shoe and you can create any design imagineable. Here is a pic of what I made.

Crystal
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%