My Roses (Flowers) Keep Cracking

Baking By dayna1205 Updated 16 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm by dayna1205

dayna1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dayna1205 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:22pm
post #1 of 11

I have tried many different icing recipes and I can't seem to find the right one that helps keep my flowers from cracking aroung the edges. Please help. Thank you for your help.

10 replies
Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 11

I would like to know to, I have the same problem. They look more like carnations than roses.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 11

You might try thinning your icing a bit. You could also try to increase the pressure and squeezing out a little more icing at time.
It takes a lot of practise.... I used to sit down and make a few dozen roses at a time.... I would be happy to get 3 or 4 good ones! As I practised more, I gradually got more and more good ones out of each batch.
HTH thumbs_up.gif

dayna1205 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 11

Melchas, are you using a wilton recipe? That's what I have been using and then trying different combinations of that recipe and still can't get the edges smooth.

dayna1205 Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 11

Mme_k, do you use the wilton bc recipe?

Melchas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melchas Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 11

Yes, i use the wilton recipe with half butter and half crisco. I am thinking of cutting the meringue powder in half and trying that. My cakes crust really easy which is great, but crack really easy too.

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayna1205

Mme_k, do you use the wilton bc recipe?

I use Indydebi's recipe, found here on CC. It's delicious and great to work with.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/6992/indydebis-crisco-based-buttercream-icing

HTH icon_smile.gif

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 11

Okay so the cracking is from two things.

1. Not enough pressure when piping. We tend to pipe slow and turn the flower nail fast.

2. Too dry icing, which is not the same thing as too thick. My test for two dry is to take a little bit of the icing and roll it in to a ball. Now hold that ball between your thumb and your first finger. Squish with your first finger then lift it away. You want your icing to feel slightly sticky or tacky, but not actually come off on your finger. If it doesn't feel sticky at all, then your petals aren't going to want to stick to the base, and you will have cracking issues.

The fix for this, about a tablespoon of crisco for every cup of icing or about a teaspoon of piping gel. I don't measure these out with measuring spoons, just dump a little in, stir and retest.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 11

I agree with TexasSugar... I know the pipping gel is key when making the flowers... good luck!

herdream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
herdream Posted 15 Mar 2010 , 8:38pm
post #10 of 11

Awesome advice! I am going to try the piping gel. Thanks thumbs_up.gif

dayna1205 Posted 16 Mar 2010 , 5:24pm
post #11 of 11

Thank you TexasSugar, I appreciate the advice and I will give it a try. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%