Cake Balls!!! Yuck!! Or Yuck???

Decorating By ginger6361 Updated 22 Mar 2010 , 1:07am by ginger6361

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:32pm
post #31 of 44

i've had bad luck melting morsels and wilton candy melts...could never get the cake balls to look smooth. i use Baker's semi-sweet and white chocolate for dipping now. it coats nice and thin, looks great ... i just need to figure out how to get them off my dipper w/o ruining the coat.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 5:36pm
post #32 of 44

I do NOT like the texture of cake balls!!! I think if I ever make them again I will make them without any icing at all so they are a little more fluffy...before I made them with a bit of buttercream and it seemed like the texture was a rather grainy, "soggy cake" thing. Ew. And I can't stand anything that even remotely resembles soggy bread or cake. I don't even like ice cream touching my cake! haha.

I would rather make truffles out of thick ganache, or the oreo/cream cheese thing.

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:26pm
post #33 of 44

Here is my finished product.....
icon_biggrin.gif
LL

aggiechef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aggiechef Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 7:28pm
post #34 of 44

dalis4joe - those look wonderful.... icon_smile.gif

makes me hungry...

AverageMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AverageMom Posted 17 Mar 2010 , 8:52pm
post #35 of 44

I admit, I can't stand cake balls. I want to like them, I try to like them, but they are just gross. Maybe it's because when I see them, I expect them to taste like wonderful Timbits, and they just don't!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:10am
post #36 of 44

I made my first batch with chocolate cake and chocolate/mint truffle coffee creamer. I was the only one who liked them, possibly because I have an incredible sweet tooth. They were really mushy and I threw them out. Don't know what to do with the leftover creamer as I don't drink coffee.
I made a second batch with WASC but this time I used some leftover homemade fresh strawberry filling. I coated them with white almond bark and they were heavenly. My niece wants me to make her birthday cake out of the same flavor. That presents a problem: Can I make a WASC and maybe swirl the filling through like a marble cake? Will that cause rising problems as the strawberry is not really cake as in a marble cake? She doesn't want a strawberry cake... Cake balls might just be my undoing. (I can't do a "bouquet" as it is to be a sculpted cake!)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:22am
post #37 of 44

I think they're disgusting, I made them once and not even my kids would eat them.

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 12:41am
post #38 of 44

Milkmaid, I just made a wedding cake with strawberry swirl from Amaretti.. the swirl seems to be just like a strawberry filling you get in a tube, but thinner. Don't go heavy on the amount you put in the batter. My first attempt, the swirl puddled and sunk to the bottom and the cake fell apart. (luckily it didn't burn - used for cake balls!) I used much less the second go-round and it was perfect.
And for my cake balls, I use the bettercream instead of icing, frosting or creamer... it's not as sweet and doesn't turn the cake to mush like the creamer can. And yes, only use a bit at a time to get to the consistancy you like.
The above wedding cake was WASC with Amaretti strawberry swirl with vanilla bettercream. Which all got crumbled up and dipped into milk chocolate! YUMMY!!!!

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:06am
post #39 of 44

LadyK, thank you. You have so encouraged me. I am really going to give it a try. I have some time before the date and would plan to preview the attempt, but there are just so many people to give cake to and they are all tired of cake!
As to the Bettercreme, I am under the impression that it is a frozen product. As I have to mail-order almost all my supplies, I don't think that it is available to me. I do see a lot of CCrs use and recommend it, though. I think I have heard of a similar product found at Sam's, but haven't checked the St. Louis store. I don't know if it is the same or not. It is a long trip in to St. Louis but it might be worth my while if it is any good.

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 1:28am
post #40 of 44

I made them for my Mom over Christmas. I made them with my choc. cake recipe and mixed in chocolate truffle filling. Then dipped them in white chocolate. I also made them using a maraschino cherry cake with walnuts, white chocolate buttercream and then dipped them in white chocolate. I do not add creamer at all to my recipe. I believe the recipe is from Bakerella. SHe uses red velvet for hers and most of her cake pops. But either way, when I made these, they werent mushy and not overly sweet since my buttercream is made with butter and not a whole lot of confectionary sugar. So it was yummy and we couldnt make them fast enough!

LadyKinster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyKinster Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:05am
post #41 of 44

I don't know why my post posted twice, so I'll edit this second one with this:
Milkmaid, if you can't get the frostin' pride or pastry pride, this web page:
From the CakeCentral thread Bettercreme Fun! by Melvira
http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dgjqsjjc_4gmsq9sdh
has a recipe for a mock bettercream.
I haven't made it myself, but from others on that thread it's pretty tasty.
Melvira has also put on their many ways to flavor the bettercream.
HTH

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:16am
post #42 of 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Here is my finished product.....
icon_biggrin.gif

I was skeptical about it... but as we have read here... if u do not overload them with icing... there is no reason for them to taste bad... it's your cake recipe so the cake should taste the same... and it's chocolate... always good... so I think it's the amount of icing that makes the difference...

BecuzImAGurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BecuzImAGurl Posted 18 Mar 2010 , 2:37am
post #43 of 44

I have tried the cake balls according the bakerella's instructions on her site...by the way, she does have some great ideas...but most of her stuff is WAYYYY too sweet (in my opinion) sometimes too much sugar destroys flavors...so I agree with many people here, less is more.

ginger6361 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginger6361 Posted 22 Mar 2010 , 1:07am
post #44 of 44

dalis4joe
the cake balls look great..how did they taste?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%