Separate A Stacked Cake?

Decorating By krm52200 Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm by krm52200

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 7

Every time I make a stacked cake, I lose all the frosting or fondant from the tier below. How do I separate the tiers without this happening? Am I missing a step when assembling the cake?

TIA for any help.

6 replies
cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 5:56pm
post #2 of 7

Sprinkle the cake with coconut or powdered sugar, that might keep the frosting from sticking.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #3 of 7

It's too long to retype so, see my post on this thread: http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-671466-coconut.html

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:01pm
post #4 of 7

I make cake crumbs from the cake trimmings that result from levelling the cake and sprinkle a thin layer of those just where the plate will rest.

Kandy4283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kandy4283 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:20pm
post #5 of 7

I just let the cake crust as well and have never had a problem as indydebi said about the plates inprinting and releasing great! I think my second option woud be the powder sugar due to allergic reactions to coconut. And again as indydebi said on the other forum, I would probably be furious if I got a cake and it had coconut between layers due to I HATE coconut!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 8:49pm
post #6 of 7

Letting the icing crust/using PS only works w/ crusting icing. For non-crusitng icing, the cake crumbs are the best option.

krm52200 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krm52200 Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 9:21pm
post #7 of 7

thanks for all the replies. after I posted I realized that it only happens with fondant covered cakes, so maybe a sprinkle of powdered sugar will help.

I use indydebi's buttercream and let that crust well and don't have a problem with the frosting covered cakes.

again, thanks for the suggestions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%