In Over My Head! (First Wedding Cake...)

Decorating By FrostedFantasies Updated 28 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm by Torts

FrostedFantasies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedFantasies Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:09am
post #1 of 19

So a friend from work was planning her wedding, trying to stay on budget and asked me a while back to make her wedding cake.
I agreed, feeling good about it.
The more I read, and more experience I have with fondant, the more I am panicking! icon_redface.gif

Here's the scenario--I'm open to all advice (except to run & hide!):

Three tiers: 14", 10" and 6", two layers each. I have a strong base, cake boards for the top two tiers and Wilton plastic dowels for support. All to be covered in ivory fondant (already order--Satin Ice) with RI flowers and scrollwork. Beads/balls around the seams.

My questions: She wants white cake & a chocolate cake (one of each layer). I've been reading about the WASC, but does it taste like 'white' cake, and because it has sour cream in it, how long can it stay out?

She wants cream cheese filling, which is fine, but mine is very soft and tends to gush out the sides, really messing up any hopes of smooth fondant. Does anyone have a good, stiff cream cheese filling? Even with a dam it tends to bulge.

I really liked using chocolate ganache for a cake I covered in fondant before, but is there a ganache recipe that is NOT chocolate tasting?

I'm thinking I need to assemble the cake at the venue...how much assembling/completion do you do at the actual venue? I ask because there's scrollwork and I need to do the beading around the base of the tiers.

Sorry to be so long winded. Yes, a slap on the hand to me, I know. icon_sad.gif But I really value the advice I read on here and have learned a lot, so I'm hoping some CCCers have some solutions.

TIA! thumbs_up.gif

18 replies
Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:18am
post #2 of 19

im afraid the only question i can kind of answer is the ganache question . . Ganache basically is chocolate and cream, why would you want it NOT chocolate tasting lol? personally, if you dont want chocolate, then dont use ganache, ive never done a white chocolate ganache however, so this might be more suitable. That or you could try flavouring the ganache, ive made chocolate orange ganache before and it was heavonly, very orangy but still chocolately.

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #3 of 19

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-605188-.html

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more. (Part of the so much more is extensive baking and cake construction help. You might be particularly interested in SPS cake construction.)

Everything you ever wanted to know about ganache:
(Includes overview, master and other recipes including white chocolate.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-653967-.html

Cheese cheese frosting/filling help thread:
(Includes shelf stable cc frosting recipe.)

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-672241-.html

HTH

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:07am
post #4 of 19

Edna has a crusting cream cheese icing recipe in her site.. that might help with the soft cream cheese icing (mine used to be the same until I started using her recipe)... here is the link

http://www.designmeacake.com/id25.html

dalis4joe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dalis4joe Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:14am
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

Everything you need to know to make, decorate and assemble tiered/stacked/layer cakes:

Above super thread has popular CC recipes for crusting American buttercreams, several types of fondant and doctored cake mix (WASC and other flavor variations) - and so much more. (Part of the so much more is extensive baking and cake construction help. You might be particularly interested in SPS cake construction.)

HTH

Awesome Help!! I also can benefit from this info thanks!!
I have a querstion....

Does anyone know of any if there are any, tutorials for scroll work like this? I would looooovvveeee to learn this technique....
LL

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 3:17am
post #6 of 19

Scrollwork like that is just done by practicing really! Just take it a scroll at a time....

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:21am
post #7 of 19

The scrollwork on that black and white is GORGEOUS! My scrollwork need a little work--I staretd getting a little overzealous! icon_lol.gif
Thanks to everyone for their help....here's the final product, my very first wedding cake. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:35am
post #8 of 19

Wow! It turned out beautifully! Congratulations!

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:36am
post #9 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedFantasies

My questions: She wants white cake & a chocolate cake (one of each layer). I've been reading about the WASC, but does it taste like 'white' cake, and because it has sour cream in it, how long can it stay out?

The cake itself does not have to be refrigerated. Just because a baked good has a dairy product in the ingredients, doesn't mean it has to be refrigerated. It's not like with cheesecake with is almost nothing but dairy.

WASC has a sweet, almond-vanilla flavor. White cake doesn't have a definite flavor. It can be vanilla, almond, or even lemon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrostedFantasies

She wants cream cheese filling, which is fine, but mine is very soft and tends to gush out the sides, really messing up any hopes of smooth fondant. Does anyone have a good, stiff cream cheese filling? Even with a dam it tends to bulge.

Cream cheese filling requires refrigeration. Do you have room for the whole cake in your fridge?

A proper thick icing dam should prevent any filling from bulging out the sides.

[quote="FrostedFantasies"]I really liked using chocolate ganache for a cake I covered in fondant before, but is there a ganache recipe that is NOT chocolate tasting?

Um. Not. Ganache is made from chocolate, there for it will taste like chocolate. You could use white chocolate (real white chocolate), but then it will taste like white chocolate.

dl5crew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dl5crew Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:42am
post #10 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Wow! It turned out beautifully! Congratulations!

I agree, what a gorgeous cake.

Odyssey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Odyssey Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:45am
post #11 of 19

The cake is gorgeous! Great job for your first time.

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:46am
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanH

HTH

I'm starting think JanH isn't a real person at all, but just a large database of cake threads to point us in the direction of. . . icon_smile.gif

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 2:58am
post #13 of 19

Hmm, just curious on the ganache- could you theoretically use peanut butter chips (or butterscotch ones or whatever) to make a ganache?

Not sure that a peanut butter ganache would go with the cake you're making, but I was just wondering really if you could melt them down with some cream and get a ganache-like result?

FrostedFantasies Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:00am
post #14 of 19

Thanks for the kind words, everyone. I was SO NERVOUS!
@Torts--ANOTHER good idea from you in regards to one of my posts tonight! You're a smart cookie! (Or cupcake, icon_razz.gif )

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 3:28am
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts

Hmm, just curious on the ganache- could you theoretically use peanut butter chips (or butterscotch ones or whatever) to make a ganache?

Not sure that a peanut butter ganache would go with the cake you're making, but I was just wondering really if you could melt them down with some cream and get a ganache-like result?

Neither of those kinds of chips contain enough fat to form a ganache.

KarmaStew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarmaStew Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 7:47am
post #16 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalis4joe

Does anyone know of any if there are any, tutorials for scroll work like this? I would looooovvveeee to learn this technique....

Really? A tutorial for simple piping? Grab your bag (and turn on your imagination) and start practicing.

katies_cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katies_cakes Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 11:55am
post #17 of 19

your first wedding cake is beautiful!! i have got my first wedding cake to do in a few weeks, how much work did you do on site??

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 12:21pm
post #18 of 19

You did a beautiful job on that cake! icon_smile.gif I love doing scrolls - kind of therapeutic, IMHO! Other people drink....some smoke....some go for a run (UGH!)...I like to pipe scrolls! LOL!
Keep at it - your work is beautiful, and the more you do the piping, the better you get at it!
icon_smile.gif

Torts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Torts Posted 28 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #19 of 19

[quote="prterrell"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts

Neither of those kinds of chips contain enough fat to form a ganache.

Ah, thanks for answering that. Hopefully I'll soon be able to grasp more of the chemistry of baking so that I can experiment more!

At least the less-fat issue now makes me feel better when I buy a bag of the Reese's peanut butter chips and *accidently* eat the whole bag before I can put them in a batch of cookies or something! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%