Bakery Airbrushed Cake...can I Add Gumpaste Decorations?

Decorating By gflaura Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm by JaeRodriguez

gflaura Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gflaura Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:21pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am having a cake made at our local grocery bakery. Bottom layer 1/4 sheet cake, middle layer 1/8 sheet cake, top layer small round cake. I just want them to airbrush it hot pink. Then, can I add my own gumpaste or fondant decorations? This is for granddaughter's first birthday. My daughter would like cut out stars and dots and the name Olivia done with black fondant or gumpaste. Can I add these to a store made airbrushed cake? How do I do this? Also, which should I use, gumpaste or fondant? Have never done anything like this. Thank you so much for your help! Sincerely, Laura

7 replies
terrylee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrylee Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:51pm
post #2 of 8

You can add anything you want to the cake... are you planning to just lay the cutout on the cake......if so just cut everything from fondant.......use a .1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant mix for making sturdy standup cutout (these take longer to dry so allow several days for drying)

Michaels have cutters for shapes and letters.....

gflaura Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:17pm
post #3 of 8

i was wanting to put stars on the sides of the top layer (i have a princess crown topper), her name Olivia on the front side of the middle layer, and the dots on the sides and top of the bottom layer. but how do i make the dots, stars and letters stick to the sides without sliding off? and do i have to make a 50/50 mix? that would be more expensive for as little an amount as i will need. thank you so, so much for your help!! laura

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:27pm
post #4 of 8

you don't have to have a 50/50 mix it just helps with the drying process, which if you're not making 3D it shouldn't be a problem! just barely wet the back of the letters and stars and dots and put them on the cake and they should stick to the BC if it is a crusting BC!

gflaura Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:57pm
post #5 of 8

how will i know if it's a crusting bc? let it set out a couple days and feel it? if it's not, how else will i stick the fondant to it? thanks! laura

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:04pm
post #6 of 8

If it's not a crusting bc then you should be able to just pop them on there without wetting the back of the fondant!!

gflaura Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 7:12pm
post #7 of 8

LOL! i'm such a dummy! of course, that makes sense. thanks for helping me! laura

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 10:04pm
post #8 of 8

You're welcome! :] Have fun!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%