Gumpaste Babies

Decorating By Butterpatty Updated 14 Mar 2010 , 1:53pm by Cake-makerz

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:40am
post #1 of 31

Is there any place online that sells these pre-made (the First Impression mold baby that is sleeping on its' stomach with bottom in air)? Thanks!

30 replies
Smashme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smashme Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 4:49am
post #2 of 31

i bought mine at globalsugarart.com

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 1:40pm
post #3 of 31

ETSY.com has some for sale.

kizrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kizrash Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 2:13pm
post #4 of 31

Globalsugarart.com

Cake-makerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiekwebb Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:32pm
post #6 of 31

Do you mean the baby already done or just the mold? I have never seen the baby sold already done, why would you need it that way when you have the mold?

Calgary_Mama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Calgary_Mama Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 31

Flour Confections.com is where I got mine, and Goldas Kitchen.com also sells them. These are Canadian sites.

GrandmaG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:37pm
post #8 of 31

I hope it's Ok to ask another question about the babies. I have my mold already. I make the baby with a flesh colored fondant/gumpaste but when I color the hair with the dust color I have a hard time not getting it on the face. The powder just seems to fall on it. I've only used the dust colors on flowers so it doesn't seem to matter as much to have it as intricate. Any hints? I haven't seen any instructions on how to color the baby just how to make it.

Cake-makerz Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:38pm
post #9 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

I hope it's Ok to ask another question about the babies. I have my mold already. I make the baby with a flesh colored fondant/gumpaste but when I color the hair with the dust color I have a hard time not getting it on the face. The powder just seems to fall on it. I've only used the dust colors on flowers so it doesn't seem to matter as much to have it as intricate. Any hints? I haven't seen any instructions on how to color the baby just how to make it.

Do you colour it with only dust or dust and alcohol?

GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:43pm
post #10 of 31

Just dust. Should I mix it? If so then what ratio? The tutorial just says to use the dust. TIA

mindy1204 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mindy1204 Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:49pm
post #11 of 31

I just use a little wilton gel color on a small paint brush... rub it on a papertowel to get most of the color off and then paint it on lightly.

GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 31

thumbs_up.gif Thanks!

Cake-makerz Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:53pm
post #13 of 31

You should mix it whit a bit of alcohol:
A bit of dust and 3 drops alcohol, mix it with a little paint brush..

is it not fluid (liquid): add more alcohol
is it fluid(liquid): It's OK
is it too fluid (liquid) : Add more dust

Good luck !

Butterpatty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Butterpatty Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 31

Thanks all! I do not have the mold yet and am trying to make up my mind if I want to purchase it. I am on a very limited budget and try to prioritize my purchases since I can only spend a limited amount once a month. icon_smile.gif - I am one of those who likes to see and touch, think this would help me make up my mind. Checked out Etsy and found several pre-made babies that I can order.

PS- glad to see the tips on embellishing the baby for the time when I do order the mold!

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:55pm
post #15 of 31

I would say its a good purchase....I have used mine already for 2 cakes and I've had it a couple months....its SO easy, and then I just dry-dusted the hair a gentle color and the cheeks and such...its quick and fast and its very much admired on a cake!

GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 5:58pm
post #16 of 31

OK so when you dry dust can you tell me how you keep it off the face when you color the hair? I try tapping the dust first then I don't have enough left to color the hair. I know it probably just takes experience which I do not have with the dry dust.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:03pm
post #17 of 31

I put just a dab of dust in the lid...I dip the brush in the jar and then tap it off in the lid and it leaves me with just enough to do the hair...and then I keep dipping it back in the lid until I need more from the jar. I used a small brush...it made a perfect hair color.

In my recent blue/brown cupcake stand I put a baby on top...the lighting is REALLY weird in that picture, the hair and lips did NOT look that dark in person. But anyway all of that was dry-dusted, and again it looked much more gentle in person. Weird in the pic.

GrandmaG Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:09pm
post #18 of 31

You did a very nice job! Is that also the First Impression's baby blanket mold? I have that one too but haven't used it yet.

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:12pm
post #19 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandmaG

You did a very nice job! Is that also the First Impression's baby blanket mold? I have that one too but haven't used it yet.

No, that is just fondant, and then I went over it with a plastic impression mat (the kind you buy for clay) and then the bottom one I just piped some tiny blue "leaves" and the top one is also an impression mat.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:16pm
post #20 of 31

Check out fondant source (jesters). They have the mold for the cheapest that I've found. You can also get a 10% discount if you use cakecentral in the coupon code.

Pinki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pinki Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:25pm
post #21 of 31

kassie11 has a great tutorial in the articles called How to Make a Tiny Gumpaste Baby with a Mold. It has great pictures showing how to add color to them. HTH

jamiekwebb Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 6:28pm
post #22 of 31

It is definitely worth the money! I love mine. You can dry dust or paint the hair with gel color mixed with a little alcohol. I paint the hair on mine and dry dust the face and sometimes I will paint or dry dust the mouth. I love this mold..... a great investment!

Cake-makerz Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:14pm
post #23 of 31

I love this mold, but i think it's difficult to get the baby very nice out of it icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 8:22pm
post #24 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-makerz

I love this mold, but i think it's difficult to get the baby very nice out of it icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

Did you try the freezing method? I just got mine and was hoping to use try it this week and planned to use the tutorial that has you put it in the freezer for a while. I hope it works!

Kitagrl Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:38pm
post #25 of 31

YES the freezer thing is awesome....it pops right out perfect and then you set it aside to dry.

cs_confections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cs_confections Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:50pm
post #26 of 31

Awesome ~ thank you for confirming it, Kitagrl! thumbs_up.gif

jamiekwebb Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 9:59pm
post #27 of 31

Yeah don't try to take anything that detailed out of a mold without freezing first. You will lose all definition that way.

Cake-makerz Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 9:54am
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by cs_confections

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cake-makerz

Did you try the freezing method? I just got mine and was hoping to use try it this week and planned to use the tutorial that has you put it in the freezer for a while. I hope it works!

Thank you !
I put it into my freezer, (for a long time icon_sad.gificon_sad.gificon_sad.gif) but my baby is very nice !!
Thanks cs_confections and Kitagrl

jamiekwebb Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:26pm
post #29 of 31

You really don't have to do it a long time, about 20 - 25 minutes ought to do it.

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 14 Mar 2010 , 12:56pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekwebb

You really don't have to do it a long time, about 20 - 25 minutes ought to do it.

You put the fondant in & then put it in the freezer? I haven't used my mold yet.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%