Where To Find Styrofoam Rose Cones

Decorating By Delynn Updated 13 Mar 2010 , 3:46am by Delynn

Delynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Delynn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:06pm
post #1 of 12

Anyone out there know where I can find styrofoam cones (vs making them out of fondant/GP)? I need to make some flowers to stick on the side of a cake (cascading) and need the cones to help make the flowers a little lighter. Every fraction of an ounce is going to count. icon_confused.gif

Thanks!!

11 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malene541 Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:25pm
post #4 of 12

This is why I love this web site!!! I didn't even know these existed! I'm a goober.

Delynn Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:31pm
post #5 of 12

YES THAT'S IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I couldn't think of what they were called. THANKS TONSSSSSS!

dailey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dailey Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:34pm
post #6 of 12

you could also used lollypops (think there called dumdums??) easy peasy...

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 9:35pm
post #7 of 12

There's a YouTube video out as well for making roses and the creator uses styrofoam eggs for the centres. I've purchased some in different sizes and did a trial run but the egg I used was too big. I'm wondering if anyone has tried these? I'm thinking that the top of the egg is not pointy enough and may have to carve it a bit using my hot craft knife. A bit of a pain but quite a bit cheaper than the celbuds.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 10:05pm
post #8 of 12

I have often thought about using the cellbuds as I hate making the ones out of gumpaste - it always takes so long. Those little things certainly are expensive! Those of you that use them - do you like them? Do you just use them like you would a gumpaste cone?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:09pm
post #9 of 12

OR you can buy the little round styro balls at Michaels and pinch the end of them to make a cone and save a lot of money. icon_wink.gif

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:39pm
post #10 of 12

How exactly do you use these? TIA,

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 12 Mar 2010 , 11:44pm
post #11 of 12

They are used as the "base" - instead of a lump of gumpaste or fondant. It makes the roses a LOT lighter when you use a styro base.

Delynn Posted 13 Mar 2010 , 3:46am
post #12 of 12

Loucinda... I like this idea too! I'm going to go to Michaels/JoAnns tomorrow and check out the sizes and costs.

I can not seem to figure out how to attach a pic of the cake I'll hopefully be replicating (depends on the outcome of the taste testing to be scheduled soon).

THANKS TONS!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%